Arc Flash Questions and Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have been pushed into Leader of the Arc Flash program where I work. I am having many questions brought to me and not having much luck getting good solid answers.
We just had our Arc Flash Study done in the first facility. 3 more to go. I feel we did pretty good, about 95% Cat 0. We have a few Distribution panels that are Cat 3. These panels have breakers from 30 A to a possible 600 A 480 V 3 phase breakers in them. My first question is. MUST PPE be worn to turn on and off a breaker in those panels? I was asked this question by one of our Maintenance Tech's. It was my understanding that PPE was NOT needed to turn them off/on as long as all covers are in place. I read about half say you do (and quote something from the NFPA70E) Half say you don't (and quote something from the NFPA70E). Same with a Safety Switch. Is there ONE place to go to get a final answer? I have to come up with a procedures for electrical safety here and I am having trouble with what I think should be one of the simplest questions.
Has anyone here had to do anything like setting up an electrical safety program? Does anyone else have the problem like me that the more I read the more there are NO good answers? Thanks for any input.

mayanees

Occupation
Electrical Engineer and Master Electrician
Sir,
Welcome to the world of arc flash safety!?! Yes it is confusing, but NFPA 70E is your friend.
First of all, get a 70E Handbook. Informative Annex E gives a framework for an Electrical Safety Program. (ESP)
70E describes that you need PPE when interacting with the electrical system. Interaction is operate, maintain, install, demolish or inspect. So in my opinion, one must wear appropriate PPE when operating the handle of a breaker. Your ESP might make a distinction for certain operations that permits operation without PPE by determining that the risk associated with that operation is low, but don't expect the equipment to contain the explosive effects of an arc flash.
There's a Square D Data Bulletin, 0100DB0804R11/09 that goes against that ultra-safe approach by listing four different types of Sq D gear, and shows a PPE 0 for operation of the devices. This document could let you reduce the risk and subsequent PPE requirements for those types of panels; however, there are qualifiers to the table that require that gear to have been commissioned, maintained and operational.
The most important part of the ESP, in my opinion, is to adequately identify the hazards at each piece of equipment so it can be treated accordingly.
I suggest consulting with the folks who did your Arc Flash Analysis, as they would be most informed to make recommendations for interactions. In general terms you need to abide by the PPE listings, and find creative ways to interact with equipment that has high incident energy levels using a variety of methods, like: Maintenance settings; remote operators; remote isolation, etc.
Good luck. I say embrace the role, as you have the opportunity to keep people safe by devising methods to work safely with electrical systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.