Arc Flash Warning Labels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Arc Flash Warning Labels

In southern Nevada all AHJs are requiring a flash hazard labels, on all panels. They WILL NOT give you a final without them!!!

sbmerrick

I would like to chip in on this topic. I feel strongly that the manufacturer of the panel should not apply the arc flash labels; rather, it should be up to the system designer/installer or the system owner/operator. Here's why:

The panel manufacturer can only identify the short circuit rating of the panel (e.g., 50kA), but would have no way of knowing how much fault current is actually available at the panel, which is the requirement for the 70E flash hazard analysis. The available short circuit current at the panel is determined by the system voltage and upstream impedance. A typical available fault current for a 240V, 50kVA transformer is around 7-8 kA. This would allow the flash protection barrier to be reduced to only 7 inches, if the program is under engineering supervision.

Also note that the arc-flash warning label is only needed if there is a possibility that the panel will be worked live, and working in an energized panel is prohibited except under a couple of limited conditions. If there will be no work in a panel in the vicinity of exposed energized conductors, then there an arc-flash warning label is not needed on that panel. So it would not typically be appropriate for a panel manufacturer to apply an arc-flash hazard warning label, when a flash hazard may not exist in that panel as it is not intended to be worked hot.

ryan_618

Regarding the NFPA 70E, I agree with Tom and the others, in that electrical safety is becoming much more mainstream. As evidence of that, I was talking with someone from the NFPA that told me that the 70E is now their second most popular book, right behind the NEC. That is pretty substantial when you consider books like the NFPA 13 and NFPA 72, which govern fire sprinklers and alarm systems, respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.