ARC RATING

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimbo123

Was arc rated ppe always a requirement of osha or 70e with fr clothing ? Are gloves rated for shock only ?
I searched the necplus website and couldn't find a definite answer to my questions .
Thank you to any responses in advance.

WorkSafe

If it was determined that their is a possible arc hazard, then the appropriate PPE would be required. OSHA does not permit live work anyways, unless you qualify for some of the strict exceptions. If you did meet the exceptions, you then use 70E as your guide. Most of your lineman gloves, or other rated leather gloves are rated for some arc protection. 70E will tell you what type of glove you should be wearing.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Was arc rated ppe always a requirement of osha or 70e with fr clothing ?
Explicitly - no
Implicitly - yes

OSHA has always had the general requirement that employees be provided with, and use, the appropriate PPE for known (identified) hazards. It is only the past 8 years or so that Arc Flash has been specifically targeted (I remember 30 years ago when it was LOTO's turn). Still, it seems 70E is enforced to different degrees depending on industry and locale.

zog

Explicitly - no
Implicitly - yes

OSHA has always had the general requirement that employees be provided with, and use, the appropriate PPE for known (identified) hazards. It is only the past 8 years or so that Arc Flash has been specifically targeted (I remember 30 years ago when it was LOTO's turn). Still, it seems 70E is enforced to different degrees depending on industry and locale.

The arc flash PPE requirements were expanded greatly in the 2000 edition of the NFPA 70E but have been in OSHA to a lesser extent (Not wearing meltable fibers if exposed to possible arc flash hazard for example) since 1981.

Status
Not open for further replies.