Are AFCI's all they're cracked to be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you all for the reply.
I learned a few things from the reply.
I haven't thought about the wave form being used to detect arc faults. Definitely a viable formula.
But I also learned that (under the disguise of "proprietary information") no one can really tell if AFCI's really work, or are just glorified GFCI's.

Yeah, we are all learning, all the time.

The AFCI's and GFCI's use DIFFERENT formulas. Hardware wise they may utilize identical hardware -although the AFCI measurements with Hall effect current detection would produce better results, but it is more expensive than regular CT's- the secret is in the microprocessor. The detection, determination and discrimination of arc fault is much more complex than ground fault, but I would think it would be easy to incorporate both. Ultimately IMHO we will see a common device in smart circuit protectors where all this and more will be incorporated.

Last edited:

pfalcon

AFCI should not have been introduced without demanding GFCI integration to it.

Consider that not all false trips are AFCI problems. Some manufacturers take shortcuts in design to save cost. These can create aberrant sine-waves. At some point the equipment manufacturer needs to stop being cheap also.

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
At some point the equipment manufacturer needs to stop being cheap also.

At what point would that be?

In my opinion the AFCI should never have been allowed to be required to be installed without both it, and other line connected consumer equipment, being regulated by the same set of EMC/EMI standards.

I am talking about EMC standards that dictate equipment meet both; a certain level of "conducted and radiated" emissions and susceptibility.

Standards such as EN-61000 which many industrial equipments strive to adhere to.

Electromagnetic Compatibility compliance helps factories to reduce down time due to electrical interference.
It is also what is needed to make consumer equipment play nicely with AFCI's.

AFCI should not have been introduced without demanding GFCI integration to it.

Consider that not all false trips are AFCI problems. Some manufacturers take shortcuts in design to save cost. These can create aberrant sine-waves. At some point the equipment manufacturer needs to stop being cheap also.

So that he can price himself out of competition with Made in China products? People on one hand demand quality product, then they buy the cheapest stuff anyway. Manufacturers don't seem to strive for Branding anymore and overseas manufacturers adopt names like Boston Products, etc. or Swissgear to gain 'percieved' creds that won't withstand scrutiny.

Strife

People on one hand demand quality product, then they buy the cheapest stuff anyway.

I always said: "Everyone wants to get union wages, but no one wants to pay union prices".
And please don't anyone start a diatribe pro or against the union, it's just an observation that everyone wants a salary as high as possible, but buys at the cheapest price. Well I got news for everyone, if you don't buy my product, I can't afford yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.