Are there kitchen cabinets with receptacles cut in?

viaPipeline

Occupation
Electrician
This is my first time on an apartment project and a lot of the plans don't seem compatible with each other and I'm having a hard time interpreting them.

So I have plans that have the cabinetry and appliances, and I have standard electrical plans.

There's a countertop in the unit against the wall(s) where the refrigerator, range, etc are located. Those receptacles are pretty straight forward. But towards the end of the counter there's a cabinet/closet that goes the full height of the room. The electrical plans show a receptacle over every 'section' of the counter. But it also shows a receptacle right on the edge of the cabinet (where this counter/cabinet space ends). So it's either behind and cut in to the back of the cabinet (which we are doing in another cabinet for the microwave), or it's supposed to go past the edge of the cabinet; in which case it would just be floating on the wall at counter-height.

Coworker who has more experience doing these types of projects says plans don't really tell you where things are supposed to go, exactly, just that they're there somewhere - which I've never been on a project like that. But even if so, I still don't know where it would go. There are already a bunch of receptacles on one side of the cabinet, and a floating receptacle 46" above the floor would look silly.

Is there any reason for a receptacle to be cut in in a kitchen cabinet/closet?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are there detailed architectural plans for the kitchen? They may show the exact locations with dimensions. Electrical plans typically lack the details needed to put things where the designer wants them.

Welcome to the Forum. :)

viaPipeline

Occupation
Electrician
Are there detailed architectural plans for the kitchen? They may show the exact locations with dimensions. Electrical plans typically lack the details needed to put things where the designer wants them.

Welcome to the Forum. :)
There are, and that's where I'm getting the cabinetry and lighting information. They tell me where the refrigerator, microwave, and range go, and where the lights go (pendants, vanity, which lights are in a drop ceiling, etc), but they don't have anything about receptacles.

We asked the GC (after 50 rooms were already roughed-in) and he said he'd get back to us, but we haven't heard back yet.

Also, the architect did a walk-through on one of the floors and mentioned a few tiny issues and fixes, but didn't mention anything about this particular thing.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are, and that's where I'm getting the cabinetry and lighting information. They tell me where the refrigerator, microwave, and range go, and where the lights go (pendants, vanity, which lights are in a drop ceiling, etc), but they don't have anything about receptacles.

We asked the GC (after 50 rooms were already roughed-in) and he said he'd get back to us, but we haven't heard back yet.
If they don't seem to care I would scale the dimensions off of the drawing and leave it at that. If the designer prefers a specific location then it's their job to provide the information. The electrician should be interested in code compliance not the design.