Are Wago lever nuts approved for industrial use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
just because it operates at 0-10 volts doesn't mean it has to be considered to be class 2. But once you start making it class 1 you need to treat it as class 1 throughout the entire circuit, can't just decide it is more convenient to run class 2 cable for a certain portion of the circuit, need to be class 1 methods entirely.
Yea I get it but take this fixture for example. The 0-10v dim wires are only 13" long. Even if you wanted to treat the 0-10 as class1 you would have a problem or a challenge at the fixture because you probably need more that 13". So then you have to join that 13" whip using a class 1 method. Not saying it cant be done but it complicates the whole thing.

1622296328444.png

kwired

Electron manager
Yea I get it but take this fixture for example. The 0-10v dim wires are only 13" long. Even if you wanted to treat the 0-10 as class1 you would have a problem or a challenge at the fixture because you probably need more that 13". So then you have to join that 13" whip using a class 1 method. Not saying it cant be done but it complicates the whole thing.

View attachment 2556703
I haven't needed to dim that type I guess so never thought of that. But the problem is sort of addressed in your signature line - they tried to make it idiot proof.

Jared Foster

Occupation
Instrumentation Tech
Years ago Wago were the first to champion "spring clamp" type terminal blocks. My partner in our panel shop at the time fully embraced them because he felt it cut down on shop labor time. We built a bunch of panels for Boeing using them and I had to go out on site and make a bunch of field changes, I HATED them and vowed to never use them again. Boeing also promptly banned them from their projects as well. It was not for performance issues, it was because of how difficult it was to make changes. The spring clamp would "dig in" to the copper and even when you used the special tool to release them, the little burr on the copper made by the clamp would prevent the wire from coming out without breaking either the terminal block or the wire.

When Wago came out with these to replace wire nuts, I lumped them into the same general category. But out of desperation last year, I had to use some and I have to say, I liked them. From an industrial use standpoint however, there is no specific code for industrial vs residential vs commercial, yet some industrials have their onw internal standards. I know a number of industrials that do not allow wire nuts on anything other than office lights and plugs. I know others that disallow crimped butt splices. So I'm sure there are some that will say "No lever clamp or spring clamp splices" too.
Yes there is. It is the NFPA 79, "Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery". It is specific to the process machinery; not so much the lights, plugs, and other general use stuff.

Jared Foster

Occupation
Instrumentation Tech
Hello jimbom7859.
The general answer to your Q is no. They are approved for a voltage, and amperage, certain wire sizes, and other such stuff like this, and not based on the land use zoning of a facility. But there are certain applications in an industrial environment that they are not permitted. You should review the NFPA 79, "Electrical Standard for Industrial Machinery". If you are going to use them in light fixtures, or receptacles they are likely fine. But, the NFPA 79 has certain applications that would disallow the use of these. For example, 13.1.2.1 "Conductors and Cable Runs" states: "Conductors and cables shall be run from terminal to terminal without splices or joints." This would exclude the use of any type wire splice. Also, Ch 13 "Wiring Practices" 13.1.1.8 states "Means of retaining conductor strands shall be provided when terminating conductors at devices or terminals that are not equipped with this facility. Solder shall not be used for that purpose". This is generally interpreted to mean that you need to install wire end terminals (boot laces) unless the terminal has that little square plate with the terminal screw in the center. It seems not feasible to use a boot lace in these WAGO devices.
As for motor terminations, section 13.5.9.2 "Motor Connection Boxes" states "Electrical connections at motor terminal boxes shall be made with an identified method of connection. Twist-on wire connectors shall not be used for this purpose". 13.5.9.3 states "Connectors shall be insulated with a material that will not support combustion". You will need to determine the fire insulative properties of the WAGOs and whether or not they satisfy the identified method of connection.

Hope this helps rather than make the Q more confusing...

Status
Not open for further replies.