Are yoy paying

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelco

Re: Are yoy paying

I am a ***** contractor and the 4th is not a a paid holiday. They get 6 others. If the 4th is work (emergency or planned shut down only) it is double time, no pyramiding of time even if it were a paid holiday it is still DT.

1.2 million dollar job at 12%. "if" you can get 12% out of that it is gross profit. by the time it sugars off it will be about 3 to 4% net.
A lot of head aches and stress for 4%. I know, I have been doing it for 30 yrs.

jwelectric

As a contractor who is going to give me pay for the 4th? I got the job done early so who is going to give me a bonus?

If you work for me it is real simple. If you want to get eight hours pay for any day of the year then work eight hours. No work no pay.

You want a bonus then work a couple hours over every day and get a couple hours more pay.

Wait until you go out on your own and find out how many paid holidays you get. See how many bonuses are handed to you. Carry all that overtime to the bank that you are making. Well let me tell you I haven?t got overtime, bonuses nor paid holiday pay from any contractor that I have subbed from. I think that I will just quit. Well if I do quit then I won?t have to listen to a bunch of cry babies cry about their paid holiday.

A different look at things sometimes sounds different than when we first heard them. As a contractor the only way for me to get pay is to work this includes holiday and bonuses. I am sure there are a few that visits this forum that have the same problem.
:)

jimwalker

I get paid for the 4 th and also on vacation for 5 days.Took friday off for extra long vacation.Simple to deal with this.If my boss is not making enough to pay for this them i am working for a looser or cheap skate.If your trying to keep men then you offer benifits,if not all your good men will work for your compitition.

growler

I agree with jimwalker because that is the way I felt about it when I was working for the man. I only worked for one small company and I didn't stay long. As a contractor you have to put yourself in the position of the employee. Ask, why would I work for this guy, give my best effort and receive little in return. Most employees only see the pay check at the end of the week ( a short one doesn't boost spirits). As a contractor you have to look at over-all job cost. It doesn't matter if the money is paid out because of holidays, bonus pay or to correct stupid mistakes. The only thing that matters is the profit that's left. I don't want holiday or vacation pay and if I did I would still be working for Mega Bucks Corporation. Contractors get paid to work but we get paid a little better for it ( whatever we are smart enough to make ).

mdshunk

Originally posted by jimwalker:
If your trying to keep men then you offer benefits, if not all your good men will work for your compitition.
Bravo Jim. That's exactly the way I feel about it.

In today's labor market, it's hard enough to attract qualified personnel. Once I have a good one, I'd like him to stay. Part of that is a good benefits package, and I bid the work accordingly. I'm plenty busy and take care of my men at the same time (and I make a good living too). I'm not ashamed of it.

[Marc steps down off his soapbox and passes the megaphone]

Status
Not open for further replies.