Area

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening...would you be so kind and explain the following. I cannot find the table where the area of wire is indicated. In the basic electrical theory DVD.
16AWG Stranded
Area 1,620 CM
Diameter 0.015 in.
R. 8 ohms per 1,000 ft.
I have looked in table 5. :? is there One for stranded and One for solid?..:dunce: Thank You

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Good evening...would you be so kind and explain the following. I cannot find the table where the area of wire is indicated. In the basic electrical theory DVD.
16AWG Stranded
Area 1,620 CM
Diameter 0.015 in.
R. 8 ohms per 1,000 ft.
I have looked in table 5. :? is there One for stranded and One for solid?..:dunce: Thank You
Make sure you are using the correct area in your calculation. If resistance is what you are calculating/comparing (for example, the necessary adjustment of an EGC size when you increase the size of the current carrying conductors), use Table 8; this gives you the cross sectional area of the metal in the conductor. If it is conduit fill you are working on, you need to use Table 5 (which refers to the specific wire type) because it's the total area of the metal and the insulation that is pertinent.

Status
Not open for further replies.