Art 110 - Entrance to Working Spaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvan

Art. 110.26 (C)(2)(a) states exits shall be unobstructed.

Are stairs considered an obstruction?

thanks in advance.

wireguy8169

If the stairs are in the way of the work space then the builder has a problem or something was put where it did not belong:grin: Do they cross infront of panels or something or is equipment under the stairs? I have seen equipment under a flight of metal steps and it was not a problem you could walk right up to it and work and all clearences were good.

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I too am confused by the question. Are you saying that a worker would have to climb a staircase, in order to leave the working space? If so, then my answer is that as long as you can stand in the working space without standing on any of the steps, then it does not matter that there is a stair case leading you out of the room.

dvan

the stairs are not in the working space, they are part of the exit.

The main e-room is below grade and you have to go up a few steps to exit.

all working space clearances are free from obstruction.

I do have equipment that exceed 1200A. I was thinking to put 2nd means of egress.

wireguy8169

If I am understanding you seems your asking if the stairs violate this:

110.26(C)(2)(a) Unobstructed Egress. Where the location permits a
continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel, a single
entrance to the working space shall be permitted.

I saw no specific reference to stairs for or against and think that stairs do not obstruct your means of egress, of course this is 600V nom or less. IMHO I think you good and may not even need the second means of egress but more ways out the better, but more exspensive.

dvan

If I am understanding you seems your asking if the stairs violate this:

110.26(C)(2)(a) Unobstructed Egress. Where the location permits a
continuous and unobstructed way of egress travel, a single
entrance to the working space shall be permitted.

I saw no specific reference to stairs for or against and think that stairs do not obstruct your means of egress, of course this is 600V nom or less. IMHO I think you good and may not even need the second means of egress but more ways out the better, but more exspensive.

110.26(C)(2) Large Equipment - does say one entrance to the required working space at each end of the working space.

Does that mean I still need another entrance?

wireguy8169

A single entrance to and egress from the required working
space shall be permitted where either of the conditions
in 110.26(C)(2)(a) or (C)(2)(b) is met.

These were the exceptions and if you meet this your good with one...Unless of course there are other circumstance that may apply

eprice

In the building code, stairs are treated as a part of a means of egress. There are certain requirements that they need to meet, such as a maximum riser height, minimum depth of treads, minimum width of stairs, landings at top and bottom, hand rails, etc., but if the stairs meet the requirements, they are considered to be an acceptable part of a means of egress. I think that if the stairs in question do not meet the building code requirements for egress stairs, then they could be considered to be an obstruction.

Status
Not open for further replies.