Art 517 Dental Office

Status
Not open for further replies.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I am installing some receptacles in a dental office for some new IT equipment, TV monitors mainly. After reading 517, it appears to me that I need to use a wiring method with a redundant ground, in this case MC, because these monitors are in the exam rooms. Am I interpreting this correctly? And it also appears that I do not need hospital grade devices, correct?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
You are correct. Some end user equipment may call for HG receptacles but that would be an extra if you were not given the equipment submittals up front.

Roger

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I am installing some receptacles in a dental office for some new IT equipment, TV monitors mainly. After reading 517, it appears to me that I need to use a wiring method with a redundant ground, in this case MC, because these monitors are in the exam rooms. Am I interpreting this correctly? And it also appears that I do not need hospital grade devices, correct?
Just to make sure you are clear....just because it is Type MC does not make it compliant with NEC 517.13(A). Traditional Type MC Cable does not offer a armor that is compliant with 517.13(A). However, there are products of the Type MC design that is.....that would be , for example; HCF Smartground Type MC Cable....that is constructed in accordance with 250.118(10)(b) and so on.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just to make sure you are clear....just because it is Type MC does not make it compliant with NEC 517.13(A). Traditional Type MC Cable does not offer a armor that is compliant with 517.13(A). However, there are products of the Type MC design that is.....that would be , for example; HCF Smartground Type MC Cable....that is constructed in accordance with 250.118(10)(b) and so on.

I'm getting a little slack in my old age, I should have mentioned that too. :(

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
:thumbsup:

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I guess the question is.........is Nitrous considered an anesthetic? May need a lawyer here.......

I just Googled it and .....yes, it is considered a weak anesthetic so if I get confirmation that Nitrous is used in these area's, HG receptacles will be required.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
I will be using Green MC with a redundant ground. There are no existing hospital grade receptacles anywhere in this facility. I just want to make sure the install I do is compliant.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
As long as you can charge for the HG receptacles all is well.

In some of the hospitals I work in they only stock HG receptacles so the maintenance staff won't have to worry about using the wrong receptacle in the wrong place, this means HG receptacles are used everywhere.

Roger

eprice

I just Googled it and .....yes, it is considered a weak anesthetic so if I get confirmation that Nitrous is used in these area's, HG receptacles will be required.

Just to back up what you found by googling, take a look in 517.2 at the definition of Anesthetizing Location, which mentions "relative analgesia". Then look at the definition of relative analgesia. It is pretty clear from those two definitions, that the code intends that nitrous oxide use be included.

MasterTheNEC

CEO and President of Electrical Code Academy, Inc.
Occupation
CEO
I will be using Green MC with a redundant ground. There are no existing hospital grade receptacles anywhere in this facility. I just want to make sure the install I do is compliant.
Just so you also know that "green" technically has nothing to do with anything in terms of the listing or investigation of the products listing....just became an industry practice to put some kind of green marking on the cables. We use labels (which are removable) and others use paint and so on. Just thought it would be good to add.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Ok......another twist in this scenario. The resident dentist at this site told me that there is no nitrous currently used at this location however, he plans on using it in the future. How do I play this, do I install HG devices on the circuit I'm installing or use non HG like the rest of the facility has? Can he be required to replace all existing receptacles with HG once the nitrous usage begins?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Ok......another twist in this scenario. The resident dentist at this site told me that there is no nitrous currently used at this location however, he plans on using it in the future. How do I play this, do I install HG devices on the circuit I'm installing or use non HG like the rest of the facility has? Can he be required to replace all existing receptacles with HG once the nitrous usage begins?
If he knows he is going to be using it in the future I would think he would want to prep for it. Although it wouldn't be your problem, the AHJ over his (medical) facility could certainly make him update things when he starts performing other procedures and the cost for HG receptacles at this point would not be that much.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.