Art. 695 fire pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGABRIEL

In regards to this article; 695.6 a through b. The NEC discusses 2 types of conductors, circuits and service. I am installing an ATS within sight to an existing FP controller and motor. The motor is routed correctly under the floor and is of no concern. Both the normal and emergency circuits enter the ATS via normal install while adhering to the Exception. The question resides in the conduit that feeds the controller from the ATS. Does this rigid or IMC conduit need to be encased in concrete or can I use a 2 hour fire rated wire and install as normal overhead?

Thank you for all your advice

dcspector

Sorry I am a bit confused on your question. So currently the Fire pump is wired to the existing controller per 695.6(A) following up with 230.6 correct? Are you asking about the exception listed at the bottom of section 695.6(B)?

erickench

If you choose to use conduit then 695.6(B)(1) would apply. It would have to be encased in 2" conduit. I don't think wire is supposed to be encased in concrete without a conduit.

Last edited:

dcspector

If you choose to use conduit then 695.6(B)(1) would apply. It would have to be encased in 2" conduit. I don't think wire is supposed to be encased in concrete without a conduit.

Once they have provided short circuit protection they can also use (2) or (3)
An example of (3) would be, let's say RHW-2 in EMT (which is a 2hr circuit protective means) exposed in the FP room between the controller and ATS.

Status
Not open for further replies.