Art lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

cburke1111

We have a single painting that needs lighting. Any suggestions as to lamp particulars. LED spot is my guess but any CRI or temp suggestions?
These are the best bulbs I can find for lighting artwork.

https://www.soraa.com

Make sure you test the bulb, transformer, and dimmer at your shop before you go out to the field. The bulb/transformer has been known to hum with Lutron dimmers.

Look for a bulb with a high R9 ratings.

https://www.soraa.com/learn/science/why-understanding-r9-not-just-cri-matters-you
32a367020d06080ef7db0521923d94b5.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

tw1156

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We have a single painting that needs lighting. Any suggestions as to lamp particulars. LED spot is my guess but any CRI or temp suggestions?

LED's work by generating UV to excite phosphors coating the interior of the "bulb". Does anyone know what UV leakage there might be with these products? You definitely do not want to be spraying UV all over your Jackson Pollock.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
For some reason I thought LEDs were low in UV. IDK, now.

I should clarify that this is in regard to "white" LED's. AFAIK, red/green/blue are all straight up emitters, although blue may contain a certain amount of UV.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
LED emitters generally produce very narrow wavelength ranges. Most white LEDs are 'fluorescent' lamps, using a blue emitter combined with phosphor to get the other colors.

Most white LEDs use a combination of a _blue_ emitter with phosphor to produce the other colors of white. I've seen claims of some white LEDs that use near UV (350-400nm) plus a white phosphor, but can't confirm this.

They don't use 254 nm UV such as a mercury based fluorescent lamp, but lower frequency visible or near UV Not UV such as a mercury.

The shorter the wavelength of light, the higher the energy of the photons, and the more damage it will do to pigments. Even visible blue will cause some damage to paintings, but you want to be able to _see_ the thing. Near UV is worse than visible blue, and far UV even worse.

-Jon

svh19044

I use Revelite custom LED art lights. They build them to the actual canvas/painting size, then you can fine tune them with a couple adjustments. They are 0-10v dimming. I don't take pictures of clients art work so you will have to get the idea, but these were not yet tuned do to the paintings not being up yet. :lol: I HIGHLY suggest them if they are lighting an expensive piece of art.

http://revelite.com/art-light-overview/

WKB9Aelh.jpg

MxSfrp1h.jpg

M0rS1zXh.jpg

Attachments

• WKB9Aelm.jpg
    WKB9Aelm.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.