Article 100 and 110.26 panelboard clearance

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The definition makes no mention of the number of breakers so with everything else being the same why would 1 or 42 circuit breakers make any difference?

Maybe one of the UL gurus can find out of there is any difference in the listing between a single CB and 42 CB Panelboard.
Depends here too. One breaker in a box can be considered just an "enclosed circuit breaker" and can be listed under UL489, the standard for circuit breakers alone. But if you were to want to want a "Service Entrance" rated breaker in a box, it would be listed under UL67, the standard for "panelboards", which is where SUSE is covered. But certainly as soon as you have more than one breaker in the box, it's no longer a UL489 listing.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Article 100 Definition of Panelboard minimally seems to fit and it would seem that 110.26(E) restrictions that is applicable to any of these defined equipment would apply to the suggested installation pictured.

2023 NEC 100 definitions:
Service Equipment.
The necessary equipment, consisting of a circuit breaker(s) or switch(es) and fuse(s) and their accessories, connected to the serving utility and intended to constitute the main control and disconnect of the serving utility.

Switchboard.
A large single panel, frame, or assembly of panels on which are mounted on the face, back, or both, switches, overcurrent and other protective devices, buses, and usually instruments.

Switchgear.
An assembly completely enclosed on all sides and top with sheet metal (except for ventilating openings and inspection windows) and containing primary power circuit switching, interrupting devices, or both, with buses and connections. The assembly may include control and auxiliary devices. Access to the interior of the enclosure is provided by doors, removable covers, or both.

Panelboard.
A single panel or group of panel units designed for assembly in the form of a single panel, including buses and automatic overcurrent devices, and equipped with or without switches for the control of light, heat, or power circuits; designed to be placed in a cabinet, enclosure, or cutout box placed in or against a wall, partition, or other support; and accessible only from the front.

Motor Control Center.
An assembly of one or more enclosed sections having a common power bus and principally containing motor control units.

Depends here too. One breaker in a box can be considered just an "enclosed circuit breaker" and can be listed under UL489, the standard for circuit breakers alone. But if you were to want to want a "Service Entrance" rated breaker in a box, it would be listed under UL67, the standard for "panelboards", which is where SUSE is covered. But certainly as soon as you have more than one breaker in the box, it's no longer a UL489 listing.
Picture looks to be 2 - double pole breakers with GFCI.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
110.26(E) or 110.26(F) says nothing about protection from damage. Nah the plumber is not giving me a hard time, just need to make sure the interpretation of the code is correct before I make the final call..
There are places in the code that create illogical or at least unnecessary situations. This is one of them. You either accept it, of discuss it with your AHJ and see if he/she/it decides to overlook it. My pet peeve is the 6 times the diameter for entering and exiting conduits 314.28. If I have a Polaris lug with both wire coming out the same side, I should be allowed to exit a conduit right next to the one I brought in.

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
110.26(E) or 110.26(F) says nothing about protection from damage. Nah the plumber is not giving me a hard time, just need to make sure the interpretation of the code is correct before I make the final call..
The last three words in the 110.26(E) are "protected from damage".

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
An enclosure with only one circuit breaker is no a panelboard per UL 67, Standard for Safety, Panelboard.