Article 210.11 (3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

austin11

I get mixed comments on this one. Understanding that a 20-amp circuit(s) is required to supply the bathroom receptacle outlet(s).

Can the bath lights be on the same circuit?

If so, is GFCI protection also needed for the bath light?

karen

Re: Article 210.11 (3)

yes, if the circuit doesnt leave the bathroom.
The need for GFCI protection depends on the location and type of fixture (wet rated)being used

hurk27

As Karen said you can put the lights on it, but it will leave the bathroom in the dark if it trips. There is no requirement in the NEC that requires the lights to be on a GFCI but if the manufacture requires it in there instructions then you will have to follow it. I run the circuit to each bath GFCI and put the lights on the hall circuit. this way no one is in the dark when it trips but it can be done ether way, all the receptacles in eack bath or lights and receptacles in only one bath.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I'll throw in my two cents worth. . .As I read it, the code describes two different minimum configurations for the Bathroom Branch Circuit.

(1) Daisy chaining the bathroom receptacle outlets of all the bathrooms on one 20 Amp bathroom branch circuit (bathroom receptacle outlets only, no lighting outlets or other outlets in spaces other than the bathrooms). This sometimes results in a long long run of cable and voltage drop concerns on the far end, but it is a NEC solution.

(2) Run as many 20 Amp bathroom branch circuits as there are bathrooms (example: 3 bathrooms = 3 20 amp circuits). One can add lighting outlets and additional load as described in 210.23 as long as these outlets and loads are in the same bathroom as the receptacle(s) served by the 20 Amp bathroom branch circuit.

210.8 says the GFI protection required is for receptacles. The notable exception, as Karen and Wayne note, is if the manufacturer requires it for their machine (I see this most commonly in the manufacturer's instructions for bath exhaust fans mounted over showers or tubs).

cram

The vents/fixtures I see say G.F.C.I. if installed in a shower/tub enclosure, I'm not sure the ceiling would act as the roof of an enclosure? If instructions say over shower/tub G.F.C.I. a must,if not, still not a bad idea if vanity light is on line side of G.F.C.I.

inspector 102

To stretch the intent a little further, in most fan/light combinations there is a receptacle to plug the fan motor into. Since this is a receptacle, would this not have to be GFCI protected. There is no clarification as far as the receptacle needing to be accessible?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I am starting a new thread on the question of whether GFCI protection is required for the light/fan combination fixture.

bennie

Esteemed Member

If the home has dirt, or bare concrete floors, and you only have a metal ladder with no rubber feet, definitely use a GFCI for protection.

It is nonsense to consider a GFCI is necessary when there is no grounded objects within reach, or likely to be touched.

B

bthielen

As Karen said you can put the lights on it, but it will leave the bathroom in the dark if it trips.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a GFCI receptacle can be wired into a circuit so that only the receptacle will open if the GFCI trips. I believe if one continues the circuit to the lights from the line terminals of the receptacle, only the receptacle is protected whereas, using the load terminals will protect the entire circuit on the load side of the receptacle. Other thoughts?

Bob

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

#1 I agree with Bennie.

#2 Bob you are correct.

#3 The receptacle in the fixture can't be considered since it doesn't comply with 406.3(A) and therefor would be illegal already.

#4 I agree with the comments about manufacturers instructions.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.