Article 220.14 (I)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Lab Coordinator
I need clarity on my interpretation. The Article States: Except as covered in 220.14(J) and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt-amperes for a single or for EACH multiple receptacle on one yoke.

When I read it, my mind interprets it this way; Receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt-amperes for a single or 180 volt-amperes for EACH(every one individually) multiple receptacle on one yoke.

I would take a duplex at 180VA(Top) + 180VA(Bottom) = 360VA for a duplex

Somebody please help me!

I'm really literal when it comes to reading and Webster's defines each as:
Each
adjective
every one of two or more considered individually or one by one: each stone in a building; a hallway with a door at each end.
pronoun
every one individually; each one: Each had a different solution to the problem.

If I read it the way that it is written. Then each receptacle on a duplex should be calculated at 180VA since by Article 100 Informational note: A duplex receptacle is an example of multiple receptacles that has two receptacles ( contact devices) on the same yoke or strap.

Somebody please help me!!

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Jeff Rodriquez used to say, “1 to mount, 1 to count. 2 to mount, 2 to count”
So 1 yoke or 2 was the determining factor..

Let me try to move the emphasis…
See if that makes a difference
I need clarity on my interpretation. The Article States: Except as covered in 220.14(J) and (K), receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt-amperes for a single or for each multiple receptacle on ONE YOKE.

Attachments

• 88994311-76C2-4FA3-9AD0-8521D08C93B7.jpeg
    88994311-76C2-4FA3-9AD0-8521D08C93B7.jpeg
    21.6 KB · Views: 9
Occupation
Lab Coordinator
Thanks for the help, but the pictures are what caused my confusion in the first place lol. I had to walk away and read it again when I got back " or for each multiple receptacle on the same yoke" Article 100 defines a duplex receptacle as a multiple receptacle. The article 210.14(J) uses the word multiple receptacle, article 100 uses the word multiple receptacle. That is verbiage link I was looking for it's in the use of the word multiple.

I think an informational note below the article should be included linking back to ART.100 for duplex receptacles for clarity. I read that section so many times it drove me to asking random electricians in a forum on the internet for help. Which I am 100% grateful for as the master electrician I trained under passed away some years ago (RIP Phil Briggs)

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Thanks for the help, but the pictures are what caused my confusion in the first place lol. I had to walk away and read it again when I got back " or for each multiple receptacle on the same yoke" Article 100 defines a duplex receptacle as a multiple receptacle. The article 210.14(J) uses the word multiple receptacle, article 100 uses the word multiple receptacle. That is verbiage link I was looking for it's in the use of the word multiple.

I think an informational note below the article should be included linking back to ART.100 for duplex receptacles for clarity. I read that section so many times it drove me to asking random electricians in a forum on the internet for help. Which I am 100% grateful for as the master electrician I trained under passed away some years ago (RIP Phil Briggs)
I thought it was very clear…
How many individual receptacles can you get on one yoke?
That counts as 180VA
If a manufacturer makes a multiple receptacle with 8 outlets on the same yoke it will count as 180VA as written.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
In the graphic in post #2, why does the fancy quadplex count as 360VA? The graphic doesn't show the construction of the device, but if they were all built together as one piece, wouldn't that still be 180VA?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it in the same section regarding a single device with 4 or more receptacles.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
When I read it, my mind interprets it this way; Receptacle outlets shall be calculated at not less than 180 volt-amperes for a single or 180 volt-amperes for EACH(every one individually) multiple receptacle on one yoke.
"Each multiple receptacle" refers to the entire duplex receptacle assembly, so it's per yoke, not per receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.