Article 220.83(A) - Air-Conditioning Loads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
220.82 can be used for a yet-to-be built dwelling or service or feeder. 220.83 cannot.
I know that but what I'm trying to say is that you can use 220.83(A) as a loophole for adding additional loads above the calculated load from 220.82.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I should have punted on this question, and directed you to an IAEI meeting, often hosted by experienced planners, and retired electricians, perhaps familiar with load calc conventions when less polluted with complexity.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I should have punted on this question, and directed you to an IAEI meeting, often hosted by experienced planners, and retired electricians, perhaps familiar with load calc conventions when less polluted with complexity.
There are good arguments on both sides I'd say

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
I'd be curious to see some side by side comparisons of the two and a 220.87.
I’ve performed load studies some apartment buildings using fluke instruments. I didn’t perform load studies for an entire meter bank but only for the entire building right at the service entrance. The average demand load for a 60 unit apartment building was like around 350 amps. A 120 unit apartment was like 550 amps.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I know that but what I'm trying to say is that you can use 220.83(A) as a loophole for adding additional loads above the calculated load from 220.82.
It's not a loophole. 220.83(A) is a legit way to calculate load for an existing dwelling unit. Just forget that 220.82 exists if you're dealing with an existing dwelling.

Status
Not open for further replies.