Article 338 USE cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

racer1

2008 code change states that the use of USE cable is not permitted to used as "an interior wiring method" In a recent 15 hour code update ,the teacher stated that "tri/plex, underground service cable , is not permitted to enter a foundation, into a panel even if in conduit with a LB because this was considered an interior wiring method. Has anyone else run into this issue???

ItsHot

code changes

code changes

I recentlly had a ce class, and it was also on code changes. We covered the (use )cable requirements. The instructor stated that the insulation on (use) cable does not have the proper fire rating to actually enter a building.

mdshunk

While that's technically true for the most part, the URD that they're talking about, when purchased at an electrical supply house is dual marked as all sorts of other types of NEC conductor types such as RHH and XHHW. This effectively makes it a moot point nowadays. Look for that additional labeling on your underground cables, and it will be there 99% of the time, unless it is the utility grade URD.

Quote from the 2007 UL White Book

"Types USE and USE-2 are not suitable for use in premises or aboveground except to terminate at the service equipment or metering
equipment."

(Premises - a tract of land with the buildings thereon. Websters 11th edition
)

From the NEC

"Type USE used for service laterals shall be permitted to emerge from the ground outside at terminations in meter bases or other enclosures where protected in accordance with 300.5(D)."

mdshunk

I guess I should ask, has anyone seen any cable marked at straight USE in years? I've made it a point to look every time I get my hands on some, and I always find the additional conductor type markings.

electricalperson

mdshunk said:
I guess I should ask, has anyone seen any cable marked at straight USE in years? I've made it a point to look every time I get my hands on some, and I always find the additional conductor type markings.
the triplex i work with is marked USE, USE-2

billsnuff

Use

Use

Southwire Type RHH or RHW-2 or USE-2 conductors are used with conduit as specified in the National Electrical Code1. When used as Type USE-2, conductor is suitable for use as underground service entrance cable for direct burial at conductor temperatures not to exceed 90? C. When used as RHH, conductor temperatures shall not exceed 90?C in dry locations. When used as RHW-2 or USE-2, conductor temperatures shall not exceed 90?C in wet or dry locations. Voltage rating for RHH or RHW-2 or USE-2 conductors is 600 volts.

http://appprod.southwire.com/Produc...?htmlpreview=true&token=7&desc=CU-RHH/RHW/USE

Status
Not open for further replies.