`08 NEC at my disposal.

Thanks for your input !

* = * = *

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
2014 NEC:

408.4 Field Identification Required.(A) Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification. Everycircuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified asto its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identificationshall include an approved degree of detail thatallows each circuit to be distinguished from all others.Spare positions that contain unused overcurrent devices orswitches shall be described accordingly. The identificationshall be included in a circuit directory that is located on theface or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboardand at each switch or circuit breaker in a switchboard orswitchgear. No circuit shall be described in a manner thatdepends on transient conditions of occupancy.
(B) Source of Supply. All switchboards, switchgear, andpanelboards supplied by a feeder(s) in other than one- ortwo-family dwellings shall be marked to indicate each deviceor equipment where the power originates.

kwired

Electron manager
* = * = *

In the `14 NEC, does Article 408.4 still require the correct
labeling of the panelboard circuits ?.....I only have the
`08 NEC at my disposal.

Thanks for your input !

* = * = *
Some changes have happened, not sure if some were in 2008 or if all came later.

Copied infinity's quote from 2014:
Field Identification Required.(A) Circuit Directory or Circuit Identification. Everycircuit and circuit modification shall be legibly identified asto its clear, evident, and specific purpose or use. The identificationshall include an approved degree of detail thatallows each circuit to be distinguished from all others.
At one point it used to require circuit identification but didn't use so many words to state how it should be identified.

Spare positions that contain unused overcurrent devices orswitches shall be described accordingly.
Pretty sure this was new in either 2011 or 2014.

The identificationshall be included in a circuit directory that is located on theface or inside of the panel door in the case of a panelboardand at each switch or circuit breaker in a switchboard orswitchgear. No circuit shall be described in a manner thatdepends on transient conditions of occupancy.
Pretty sure that is fairly new - but could be as old as 2005 or 2008.

(B) Source of Supply. All switchboards, switchgear, andpanelboards supplied by a feeder(s) in other than one- ortwo-family dwellings shall be marked to indicate each deviceor equipment where the power originates.
Want to say that is also no older then 2011 or 2014.

I could be wrong on when some of those changes were put in, but don't think most of what is currently in there was there before 2005.

NEC Access

NEC Access

The NFPA website does allow access to codes and standards for free, This is a read only access, no printing. Once you register you can look at NFPA 70 (National Electrical Code).

kwired

Electron manager
The NFPA website does allow access to codes and standards for free, This is a read only access, no printing. Once you register you can look at NFPA 70 (National Electrical Code).
I was aware of that. Just went there to see if I could look at 2005 NEC - all I seem to be able to to is look at TIA's, errata, ROP's, ROC's on older editions. 2017 is only one I can view actual code content.

Status
Not open for further replies.