Article 450 - Transformer ventilation question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello

Im working in safety, and I have a work order on file for a potential hazard with our 480V transformers

possible hazard if metal goes through the air ventilation slots

our transformers are similar to this in size and ventilation type http://www.geindustrial.com/product...ficient-nema-premiumcsl-3-harmonic-mitigating

per manufacturer instruction, they have 6 inches of clearance on all sides, is there a standard for vent clearance or is the hazard impractical?

thank you for any help

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Impractical

Impractical

The clearance is for air flow to keep the transformer cool, nothing else.

I don't know how many of those transformers are in service in North America, probably in the millions, there must be a thousand of them in my small town at least. Some of them have been in service longer than I have been alive. If there was a safety issue with the vents the manufactures would have been all over it faster than a cheating wife can kick her lover out of the bedroom window when she hears a car pulling into the driveway.

ron

possible hazard if metal goes through the air ventilation slots

What is the ambient conditions around the transformer?

That style needs ventilation for needed cooling.

If the ambient environment has lots of metal fillings or shards flying around, then a ventilated transformer might not be an appropriate application for that area.

kwired

Electron manager
If the ambient environment has lots of metal fillings or shards flying around, then a ventilated transformer might not be an appropriate application for that area.
If there is enough combustible materials flying around in the air on a regular basis - you may just have a Class 2 or 3 hazardous location and need different type of enclosure not only for the transformer but all the electrical equipment in the area.

If there is enough combustible materials flying around in the air on a regular basis - you may just have a Class 2 or 3 hazardous location and need different type of enclosure not only for the transformer but all the electrical equipment in the area.

does not classify for a class 1 or 2 Hazardous location

Plastic molding injection Presses are the machinery present near the transformers, I cant really say metal filings or shards are flying around on a regular basis

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not all transformers require 6" of clearance on all sides. Some manufacturers only require the clearance on the sides with the ventilation openings.

Status
Not open for further replies.