Article 511 commercial garage

Status
Not open for further replies.

FREEBALL

article 511 is puzzling me it says a minor repair shop can do everything but change out a fuel tank basicly. So is a repair shop to send the vehicle to another shop to do this to comply with the requirements of 511. This is a minor mechanical task that is performed in a minor repair shop all of the time. So why wouldn't a minor repair shop just be classified as a major and be done with the 2 different classes. Also nowadays a lot of cars are using hybrid fuels and taking them to a minor repair shop, wouldn't that mean that repair shop should be classified as a major repair shop. This article seems as if it needs more definition. Does anybody else have ideas. I understand the ventilation aspect is an issue but if you pull in a hybrid to do a tune up and oil change isn't this vehicle making the garage a major repair garage as it relates to article 511 and the possibility of lighter than air gasses escaping and accumulating. Im doing some retro work on a commercial garage next month and would like any ideas. Thanx

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Under usual conditions, you would be invited to submit a Public Information comment for the 2020 NEC. However, in this case, Article 511 is largely extracted from NFPA 30A and you would need to get concurrence from its Technical Committee first.

Buck Parrish

Would a lawn mower shop be considered a minor garage? Would I be able to use Florescent lights with out the sealed covers? Would I be able to use MC cable? Would I have to use WP Outlet boxes? This is a total re-wire of an existing shop. They had a small fire.

kwired

Electron manager
article 511 is puzzling me it says a minor repair shop can do everything but change out a fuel tank basicly. So is a repair shop to send the vehicle to another shop to do this to comply with the requirements of 511. This is a minor mechanical task that is performed in a minor repair shop all of the time. So why wouldn't a minor repair shop just be classified as a major and be done with the 2 different classes. Also nowadays a lot of cars are using hybrid fuels and taking them to a minor repair shop, wouldn't that mean that repair shop should be classified as a major repair shop. This article seems as if it needs more definition. Does anybody else have ideas. I understand the ventilation aspect is an issue but if you pull in a hybrid to do a tune up and oil change isn't this vehicle making the garage a major repair garage as it relates to article 511 and the possibility of lighter than air gasses escaping and accumulating. Im doing some retro work on a commercial garage next month and would like any ideas. Thanx
Read the definitions in 511.2 carefully. It wasn't that long ago that they added those two definitions, before then all art 511 applications were basically treated like a major repair garage now is. Your lubrication shops, tire shops, even a place that only replaced glass - would have been treated same as a shop that does major engine overhauls, but now they recognize there are places that normally do not get into procedures that create hazardous locations and we can treat them differently. How one determines just when you can call it a major or minor repair garage could be a little more tricky depending on how zoning/business license permits work in a particular area. An occasional out of the ordinary activity that does introduce hazardous locations may or may not be permitted on an otherwise minor repair garage. Some people do things in their garage at home that are just as hazardous yet it is not classified at all, but the idea I believe is a major repair facility is expected to have these hazards present much more often.

kwired

Electron manager
Would a lawn mower shop be considered a minor garage? Would I be able to use Florescent lights with out the sealed covers? Would I be able to use MC cable? Would I have to use WP Outlet boxes? This is a total re-wire of an existing shop. They had a small fire.
Even if it is a major repair garage the things you mention are allowed in general- just not in the areas designated as a classified area which outside of a paint booth or an area where gasoline or other gaseous fuels will be expected to be present the hazardous location is mostly limited to pits or other below floor spaces and up to 18 inches above the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.