Article 511,? Elec. safety steps to store Desiel/Gasol

Status
Not open for further replies.

inspector1

Article 511,? Elec. safety steps to store Desiel/Gasol

I am a certified fire inspector, and for safety, what electrical issues need to be addressed under Article 511 in regards to electrical, heating, ventilation of desiel and gasolene fumes out of a 200feet by 200 feet heavy wood timber warehouse, with a concrete floor, and interior 2-hour fire rated brick walls, and metal fire rated roll-up doors, and the building is sprinklered, and has a monitored fire alarm panel in this warehouse.
My main question is do to having desiel, and gasolene in fuel tanks attached to these vehicles, is what steps under NEC Article 511 need to be addressed on this issue, 1.) type of electrical wiring in this structure, 2.) type of heating, and type of builing ventilation exhaust to keep gas accumulation of fumes down inside thie warehouse.

sandsnow

Re: Article 511,? Elec. safety steps to store Desiel/Gasol

Nothing special is required by the NEC see 511-2 (sorry 1999 section)
Check the building, fire, and mechanical codes in your area for other req's

jimwalker

I would think there would be some building and fire codes.There is a danger..Sprinklers,fire rated doors,walls and alarms only help with the fire after something goes booom

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

The most applicable "general" standard is NFPA 30, the "Flamable and Combustible Liquids Code." It will refer you back to the NEC for most electrical installation issues, but it can be of great assitance in determining proper electrical area classification, which tnen determines proper equipment selection.

Depending on the storage methods and other operational activities NEC Article 514, may apply as well as Article 511.

Status
Not open for further replies.