Article 517.13

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I need to get a rough in completed quickly. I would like to drop HCF grade cables (home runs)into a crawl space and then junction them later when time allows and running them back to the panel?

517.13 (a). " All branch circuits serving.....

Does the circuit need to be continuous from over current device to outlet?

Thanks

kwired

Electron manager
You can have junctions in the circuit conductors as well as in equipment grounding conductors. In fact EGC's will need to be bonded to junction boxes unless using as a "pull box" and all conductors are pulled through "unbroken".

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Why not just drop an empty conduit to the crawl, and, if you want to make joints later, terminate it in a J-box with KOs?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I need to get a rough in completed quickly. I would like to drop HCF grade cables (home runs)into a crawl space and then junction them later when time allows and running them back to the panel?

517.13 (a). " All branch circuits serving.....

Does the circuit need to be continuous from over current device to outlet?

Thanks
Are any of these from the Critical Branch?
The metallic raceway or sheath does have to be a complete run to the source even if you are using a combination of types.

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Nothing for Critical Branch.

These are all examination rooms only.
The reason I asked was that you can not use a flexible wiring method for the Crtical Branch.

Roger

nizak

Thank you!
BTW. Are there specific fittings for HCF cable?
Can the connectors one would use for “regular” MC or AC cable be sufficient?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
AFAIK, they have to be listed as MCI-A. I know Arlington makes a green fitting that identifies it for HCF cable.

Roger

kwired

Electron manager
Thank you!
BTW. Are there specific fittings for HCF cable?
Can the connectors one would use for “regular” MC or AC cable be sufficient?
I believe there is a designation that they must have, but I also believe there are few if any such fittings for AC/MC that don't have that designation.

I looked at this information some time ago in particular when deciding if Arlington's snap in fittings were compliant for use in healthcare, and at that time discovered they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.