Article 555.19 shore power for boats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I had a question about the shore power for length of a boat over 20' should be 30Amps, found on the internet, however I cannot find this in the 2014 code book. There is zero reference regarding boat length. This must have been a trick question??!!

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It may have been a trick question, or just one that was badly written. There are no requirements in the NEC to associate boat length with receptacle rating. Receptacle ratings are discussed in 555.19(A)(4). The minimum is 30 amps, but there is no mention of length. How well (i.e., how accurately) are you remembering the exact wording of the question?

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks Charles

Thanks Charles

It may have been a trick question, or just one that was badly written. There are no requirements in the NEC to associate boat length with receptacle rating. Receptacle ratings are discussed in 555.19(A)(4). The minimum is 30 amps, but there is no mention of length. How well (i.e., how accurately) are you remembering the exact wording of the question?

Welcome to the forum.

I'm remembering the question quite vividly. I do believe it was meant to determine the size for boat shore power, and thats all.
Thank you!

oldsparky52

Hi, I had a question about the shore power for length of a boat over 20' should be 30Amps, found on the internet, however I cannot find this in the 2014 code book. There is zero reference regarding boat length. This must have been a trick question??!!

Was this a test question, if so what test?

For years I've heard from a dock manufacturer that 30' and 35' slips should have 1 30-A receptacle, 40' should have 2-30A receptacles, above 40' should have 50-A receptacle (over 50' should have 2 50-A receptacles). Never knew it to be a code compliance issue.

david

See the scope article 555: small craft

Handbook note inpart :

"The term small craft is not defined in the Code; however, based on the scope of NFPA 303, Fire Protection Standard for Marinas and Boatyards, the small craft include recreational and commercial boats, yachts, and other craft that do not exceed 300 gross tons. For facilities that serve larger craft and ships, see NFPA 307, Standard for the Construction and Fire Protection of Marine Terminals, Piers, and Wharves. See Article 553 for requirements for floating buildings, including floating dwelling units."

Status
Not open for further replies.