Article 682 GFCI Requirments For Aerators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spark16

I recently went on a service call to a fish farm. They have a building with tanks that are in-ground. Each of the in-ground tanks have (2) 3 phase, 480 volt aerators that are fed with (4) wire SOW (3 hots & 1 ground). The aerators are hardwired to a PVC box in the ceiling. Each aerator has its own single pole triple throw non-fused disconnect switch that hangs from the ceiling over the walkways that separate the in-ground tanks. None of the circuits are currently GFCI protected. I started looking in the 2011 NEC in article 682 to see if I could determine if these needed to be GFCI protected, but the only items mentioned in 682.15 are ?15 and 20 amp single-phase, 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles??..? I can?t determine if the switches, which by default would make the aerators need to be GFCI protected. Any thoughts?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I recently went on a service call to a fish farm. They have a building with tanks that are in-ground. Each of the in-ground tanks have (2) 3 phase, 480 volt aerators that are fed with (4) wire SOW (3 hots & 1 ground). The aerators are hardwired to a PVC box in the ceiling. Each aerator has its own single pole triple throw non-fused disconnect switch that hangs from the ceiling over the walkways that separate the in-ground tanks. None of the circuits are currently GFCI protected. I started looking in the 2011 NEC in article 682 to see if I could determine if these needed to be GFCI protected, but the only items mentioned in 682.15 are ?15 and 20 amp single-phase, 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles??..? I can?t determine if the switches, which by default would make the aerators need to be GFCI protected. Any thoughts?

reading through the whole article it seems to be not required for voltages over 250.

Welcome to the forum..:)

Spark16

Thank You

Thank You

Just wanted to say thanks for the quick response. I have been a little busy over the last month and a half and haven't checked back until this morning. Thank you to both of you for your comments. It is a relief to know that other electricians found the same thing that I did in the code. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.