Article 770 Listed Fiber Optic Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

FaradayFF

Hi guys,

What are listed and unlisted cables as referred to in Article 770. Would the unlisted cables mean not listed for indoor installations?
I didn't see a good definition of each.
Could anybody clarify this for me.
Thank you,
EE

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Sure. Unlisted cables are used by utilities and others for cable outside, as the unlisted cable has not been evaluated for smoke and flame spread. You can run unlisted cable in a building 50 ft past the point of entrance.
Listed cable is typically three type, general purpose, riser and plenum.
See 770.26, 770.58 and 770.113

FaradayFF

Sure. Unlisted cables are used by utilities and others for cable outside, as the unlisted cable has not been evaluated for smoke and flame spread. You can run unlisted cable in a building 50 ft past the point of entrance.
Listed cable is typically three type, general purpose, riser and plenum.
See 770.26, 770.58 and 770.113

Thanks, Tom. I learned a bit more about the fiber cables and it appears the listed cable would be a cable that is rated for indoor/outdoor use. The listed cable would be allowed to be used as a backbone cable for interconnecting buildings and also rated for indoor use when entering the building and running to a COMMs rack.

Best Regards,
EE

Paulus

Occupation
Installer
Several Questions here... Could a unlisted Jetted Fiber aka Air Blown fiber cable be used as a backbone cable to be installed from rack to rack. Could Jetted Fiber be used alone. Meaning no Micro duct used. What would be the requirements if this type of cable were to be installed in a central office to make this a safe installation. Could non plenum cable be installed in plenum rated duct.

Paulus

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This should be a new post.
1. Unlisted air blown from rack to rack? No, it must be listed. Why not use whats common, preterminated jumpers?
2. Any cable in a plemum duct must be plenum rated

Paulus

Occupation
Installer
This should be a new post.
1. Unlisted air blown from rack to rack? No, it must be listed. Why not use whats common, preterminated jumpers?
2. Any cable in a plemum duct must be plenum rated
Thanks for your help.
It seems that there are recommendations to be made to the ownners here.

More questions... .
1. Concerning the preterminated jumpers... do these come in dense larger configurations such as 144 fiber?
2. Are plenum cables / patch cords required in CO equipment rooms with automated HALON type fire supression systems?
3. If "UL" is imprinted on the jacket of patch cords? It means that the product has been tested by Underwriters Laboratory?
4. Is there a International "UL" and are countries outside the US following this standard?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
1. I dont know, I only used duplex jumpers. Ask a vendor, like Graybar on the telecom side.
2. Dont know, if its a CO, NEC rules don't apply
3. No, it would say listed and what type of cable
4. UL is pretty much US only. Overseas its very different system where mfgs self certify.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
4. UL is pretty much US only. Overseas its very different system where mfgs self certify.
Pretty much US and Canada in terms of testing. The biggest difference is that UL listing of a product for sale in Canada involves testing to Canadian standards while UL listing for sale in in the US involves testing to US standards, many of which are also written by UL wearing its other hat as a standards organization.
Overseas you have CE for European Union, but also recognized by many other countries, and self-certified by manufacturers outside the EU also.

Status
Not open for further replies.