Article requiring GFCI protection at fairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravenvalor

Hello,

There is a small craft fair at the local mall and I would like to see all of the participants using GFCI protected outlets. Does anyone know the article stating that small fairs require the use of GFCI protected outlets?

Thanks,

kwired

Electron manager
Hello,

There is a small craft fair at the local mall and I would like to see all of the participants using GFCI protected outlets. Does anyone know the article stating that small fairs require the use of GFCI protected outlets?

Thanks,

590.6 is about closest thing to what you are looking for, unfortunately I don't see it requiring GFCI for your application. The main place GFCI is required in this section is for construction sites.

Move the event outdoors and it becomes more clear that GFCI will be needed.

Ravenvalor

Both code articles 590.6 and 525.23 strengthen my belief that GFCI protection would be enforced for a local indoor craft fair in a mall.
The fair will have 35 - tables and most of the tables will have some sort of temporary extension cord for various types of electronic and / or electrical appliance. Alot of the appliances are made by do-it-yourselfers.

Thank you for the good advice.

iwire

Staff member
As far as 590 that deals with construction and maintenance.

590.6 Ground-Fault Protection for Personnel. Ground-fault protection for personnel for all temporary wiring in-stallations shall be provided to comply with 590.6(A) and (B). This section shall apply only to temporary wiring in-stallations used to supply temporary power to equipment used by personnel during construction, remodeling, main-tenance, repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or similar activities. This section shall apply to power derived from an electric utility company or from an on-site-generated power source.

As far as 525 I think you are pushing it for an indoor craft show.

Do conventions and trade shows require GFCIs?

Keep in mind your decisions have financial impact.

Ravenvalor

As far as 590 that deals with construction and maintenance.

As far as 525 I think you are pushing it for an indoor craft show.

Do conventions and trade shows require GFCIs?

Keep in mind your decisions have financial impact.

Good points, I have to admit that the local inspector probably won't require it. I am just worried about all of the home made stuff not having some sort of GFCI protection. In other words, I am trying to find a code that will require it. I am suggesting to the planners that they ask each booth owner to buy a $12 GFCI cord adapter from Lowe's just to play it safe.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Good points, I have to admit that the local inspector probably won't require it. I am just worried about all of the home made stuff not having some sort of GFCI protection. In other words, I am trying to find a code that will require it. I am suggesting to the planners that they ask each booth owner to buy a $12 GFCI cord adapter from Lowe's just to play it safe.

I would say that 590 is the correct article for temporary electric power and that the list given as an example is not all inclusive of every scenario that ground fault protection would be required. "Or similar activities" brodens the scope of the requirement.

iwire

Staff member
I would say that 590 is the correct article for temporary electric power and that the list given as an example is not all inclusive of every scenario that ground fault protection would be required. "Or similar activities" brodens the scope of the requirement.

Greg if you apply 590 like that the result would be every single time an extension cord was used it would require a GFCI. The code includes the words construction for a reason.

A craft fair is not similar to the items on the list.

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Greg if you apply 590 like that the result would be every single time an extension cord was used it would require a GFCI. The code includes the words construction for a reason.

A craft fair is not similar to the items on the list.

Is decorative lighting for holidays part of construction remodeling etc.

Any time an exstention cord is used to power a hand operated item as implied by the OP it should apply. If these crafts as they where mentioned and implied as being homemade items utilizing electricity to opperate should come under 590.2(B)

590.2 All Wiring Installations. (A) Other Articles. Except as specifically modified in this article, all other requirements of this Code for permanent wiring shall apply to temporary wiring installations.

Temporary installations of electrical equipment must be installed in accordance with all applicable permanent installation requirements except as modified by the rules in this article. For example, the requirements of 300.15 specify that a box or other enclosure must be used where splices are made. This rule is amended by 590.4(G), which, for construction sites, permits splices to be made in multiconductor cords and cables without the use of a box.

(B) Approval. Temporary wiring methods shall be acceptable only if approved based on the conditions of use and any special requirements of the temporary installation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Yes, it does, but the GFCI rule does not apply. 590's requirement for GFCI protection is very limited.
"...This section shall apply only to temporary wiring installations used to supply temporary power to equipment used by personnel during construction, remodeling, maintenance, repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or similar activities. ..."

Any time an exstention cord is used to power a hand operated item as implied by the OP it should apply. If these crafts as they where mentioned and implied as being homemade items utilizing electricity to opperate should come under 590.2(B)
While in may be a good idea to provide GFCI protection for any hand operated item, the code does not require that. I don't see where the crafts would ever come under any provision of the NEC.

590.2 All Wiring Installations. (A) Other Articles. Except as specifically modified in this article, all other requirements of this Code for permanent wiring shall apply to temporary wiring installations.

Temporary installations of electrical equipment must be installed in accordance with all applicable permanent installation requirements except as modified by the rules in this article. For example, the requirements of 300.15 specify that a box or other enclosure must be used where splices are made. This rule is amended by 590.4(G), which, for construction sites, permits splices to be made in multiconductor cords and cables without the use of a box.

(B) Approval. Temporary wiring methods shall be acceptable only if approved based on the conditions of use and any special requirements of the temporary installation.
I don't see anything there that would require GFCI protection.

iwire

Staff member

The rules for holiday lighting time constraints are under the general provisions of 590.

The GFCI requirement is under a specific section that only applies to construction, remodeling, maintenance, repair, or demolition of buildings, structures, equipment, or similar activities.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I agree with others that the code sections do not apply.

However, considering non-UL listed appliances and homemade appliances in a public setting - I can see your concern. If its just the guy that made the appliance using it, then I guess he can take his own chances. But I would be real concerned if other were allowed to touch or use those appliances.

IMO, GFCI would be real smart, and an isolated supply would be even safer. But I don't know if the inspector can force people to add safety devices to non-listed appliances.

kwired

Electron manager
Those that have mentioned the use of "home made" appliances and their concerns have not mentioned the fact that at these craft fairs these guys are selling these items. IMO there is likely more risk of something bad happening after that item leaves the craft fair and is in someones home.

kwired

Electron manager
If you are suggesting that 90.4 gives inspectors the ability to make their own rules I disagree.

Same here. If that were the case forget the rest of the book, 90.4 is all that would be needed.

An inspector is not the AHJ, they are representatives of the AHJ. If they are in a jurisdiction that does things the right way and make such decisions it usually is not on the spot and involves other members that make up the AHJ, or they have documented information somewhere for specific instances that they maybe have had issues with before and can make an on the spot decision based on that information.

Status
Not open for further replies.