Ask This Old House

Status
Not open for further replies.
aftershock said:
we will cut the nail holders off of a nail on and then secure them to the wall stud with sheetrock screws.

I've been doing the exact same thing at every trim I've worked on so far. From reading the responses after your post, I'm definitely going to be asking my boss about those 'smart boxes' on Monday. They sure don't seem to be all that different functionally though from doing the hacksaw blade/dw screw thing. As long as the screws are placed close to the face of the box the heads sit nearly square to it and driven in enough appear to be more recessed than what the pic of the smart box shows. But who am I to complain, it's my responsibility to learn and follow the code. Just gives me the shakes to find out one more thing I've been doing wrong all along that I thought was accepted practice...

steelersman

SEO said:
We use them all the time . We have them on the shelf in the shop and carry a few on the trucks. They work great and secure a lot better than the altered boxes. All our supply houses have them. Big box ?
yeah big box. I rarely use the supply houses since they aren't as convenient and most items cost more there.

steelersman

LarryFine said:
The holes would have to have been moved closer to the joist, or a piece of 1x scabbed onto it. The half-saddle boxes (that's the kind you mean, right?) must be more than half-way lapped over (or rather, under) the joist for the mounting holes to be in line with solid wood.
right on! :)

SEO

Sparkyprentice said:
But who am I to complain, it's my responsibility to learn and follow the code. Just gives me the shakes to find out one more thing I've been doing wrong all along that I thought was accepted practice...
Welcome to the forum. It may be accepted practice in many areas but it still isn't code complient. I'm the same way the more I learn the more I find out that I didn't know. :smile:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
The smart box has been out for years, I'm surprised that they aren't on the counters of all the supply houses out there. Their displays are on every counter around here (aside from the big box stores, they tend to lack counters or experienced help to man them.) ;)

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Must be a regional thing, I have not seen them in the big box stores here in the southeast. (Blue or Orange) It's the same way with Arlingtons In-use cover/box combo, It's a far superior product to the bubble covers in looks, but I have to special order them. The price difference is not that great, and they look a whole lot better on a million dollar house. I reckon everybody must take the bubble covers off after they get the inspection.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
hillbilly1 said:
Must be a regional thing, I have not seen them in the big box stores here in the southeast. (Blue or Orange) It's the same way with Arlington's In-use cover/box combo, It's a far superior product to the bubble covers in looks, but I have to special order them. The price difference is not that great, and they look a whole lot better on a million dollar house. I reckon everybody must take the bubble covers off after they get the inspection.

One way or another, I think many hit the floor because of abuse. I think Arlington has come out with some of the best residential products.

The In-use box is one of my favorites, and I am amazed when I start to put one in on a new job how many people have never seen them.

electricmanscott

iwire said:
We could just stock a few smart boxes in our trucks then we could fasten through the side professionally .......... Just a thought. :)

To me, part of what separates professionals from DIYs is the professionals ability to do the work and stay within the rules. If the HO has decided to part with their money to pay for a professional to do the work doesn't the professional owe the HO a code compliant job?

True enough but can you honestly say that you have never been in a jam and "improvised"??

That said, if I was going to do a job on national tv, I would be more than well prepared. Hell I might even wear a tux!

JohnE

I've cut the ears off a new work box and installed it to a stud "old work" style a bunch of times. And I do keep some smart boxes in my truck. And I know it's a violation. This works at least as good if not better than a smart box, but that's not the point.

wasasparky

...within 1/4" of the back or ends of the enclosure...

What are ends?

They didn't say "front" of the box.

Do the "ends" refer to the end of each side? meaning it would be OK to use drywall screws if the screws end up in a corner (area joining two sides)?

A big pet peave of mine is when they put the screw right where the wiring terminals end up. I like to see them up in the corners where they won't end up being close to the screw terminals.

steelersman

j_erickson said:
I've cut the ears off a new work box and installed it to a stud "old work" style a bunch of times. And I do keep some smart boxes in my truck. And I know it's a violation. This works at least as good if not better than a smart box, but that's not the point.
don't you mean you've cut the ears off an old work box and installed it new work style on a stud. Also are you talking about the metal cut in boxes with the ears that you can just remove with a screw?

iwire

Staff member
electricmanscott said:
True enough but can you honestly say that you have never been in a jam and "improvised"??

No I can't and will not say that. :smile:

What I was saying is we can try to avoid it instead of planing to just keep improvising we can order the right stuff.

That said, if I was going to do a job on national tv, I would be more than well prepared.

You bet. :)

peter d

hillbilly1 said:
I reckon everybody must take the bubble covers off after they get the inspection.

I changed a bubble cover to a regular cover only once, at it was after I came back to the job and the bubble cover I previously installed was snapped off.

electricmanscott

steelersman said:
don't you mean you've cut the ears off an old work box and installed it new work style on a stud. Also are you talking about the metal cut in boxes with the ears that you can just remove with a screw?

The thread is about cutting the mounting brackets off a new work box and using it in an old work situation. I'd assume that's what John was referring to.

JohnE

electricmanscott said:
The thread is about cutting the mounting brackets off a new work box and using it in an old work situation. I'd assume that's what John was referring to.

That is what I meant, thanks Scott. :smile:

wasasparky

SEO said:
It may be accepted practice in many areas but it still isn't code complient.

If the screws are up in the corners, I believe it is code compliant. See post #73.

I did not see the episode to see exactly where the screws we placed in that install...

Status
Not open for further replies.