Assembly UL listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

John911

Trying to find in the code book where it tells you that if you assemble 2 or more products together, they need to be listed. Example: someone builds a display case and you install lighting in that display case - Where does the code say that that assembly has to be listed?

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It's not in the NEC. Would a house that an EC is installing fixtures in need to be listed as an assembly?

If the fixtures themselves are installed per the manufacturers instructions all is fine.

Roger

Last edited:

480sparky

Otherwise, my listed box and listed NM cable (supported by listed staples), made up with listed connectors, going to a listed device with a listed cover on it wouldn't be listed.

Whew! That left me listless! :smile:

davidr43229

Trying to find in the code book where it tells you that if you assemble 2 or more products together, they need to be listed
One place within the NEC 2005 that says that is contained within 409 for Industrial Control equipment which also includes , if the Industrial Controller is also used as a Service Entrance.
In 110-3 there is Listing & Labeling.
I don't know if you are "generally" asking or if someone told you of this. They may be mixing their oranges & apples and I would ask them to site a referrence.
Just my $.02

davidr43229

Does this help?
NEC 409.2 Definitions.
Industrial Control Panel. An assembly of a systematic and standard arrangement of two or more components such as motor controllers, overload relays, fused disconnect switches, and circuit breakers and related control devices such as pushbutton stations, selector switches, timers, switches, control relays, and the like with associated wiring, terminal blocks, pilot lights, and similar components. The industrial control panel does not include the controlled equipment.
Just my $.02

Status
Not open for further replies.