assisted living

Status
Not open for further replies.

binney

Inactive, Email Never Verified
Just found out i'm roughing an 8 bedroom CBRS tomorow. I don't know what CBRS stands for, was told it has something to do with assisted living.

Would this fall under a health care facility.

I'll need to fallow ada regulations. Anything else come to mind.

I'm used to your standard residential.

We'll need call stations and a fire alarm system. Any help would be appreciated, i'm going to get my code book now.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: assisted living

The building classification should be on the contract documents.

In general, assisted living facilities do not come under patient care areas, but can have some requirements of article 517.

If these are strictly sleeping rooms, wiring methods in chapters 1 thru 4 will suffice, see 517.10

Roger

binney

I read 517.10(B) "where these areas are used exclusively as patient sleeping rooms"

but arent't these rooms pretty much where they spend all there time. That's more than a sleeping room, or not?

ryan_618

As you mentioned, accessilbility will be an issue. Keep everything 15-48" AFF. including thermostats. Keep horn/strobes 80-96" AFF, measured to the bottom of the box. Be mindful of emergancy lighting and other emergancy systems, if they apply.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Binney, whether they spend time sleeping (
smilie_bett.gif
) or dancing (
dan.gif
) here, the room is still basically for sleeping. I may do other things (
hug.gif
) in my bed room, but it is still a bed room.

Roger

binney

roger,

I like the special affects.

Another question, do building codes require these rooms which are actually seperate residence to be 2 hour fire rated?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

These areas are actually within a suite and would have a rating from room to common area, but not necessarily between each other.

For the real scope on this separation, Ryan can answer better than I.

Roger

ryan_618

Binney: Thats a tough question to answer without knowing the whole scope of the project. IF these are built under the IBC (which state do you live in?), you will get some nice allowances if the building is sprinklered. If they classify the building as an institutional occupancy, the srpinklers are a must, but that depends on how many occupants there are. It might be classified as a business occupancy, and may not get sprinklers. With that in mind, you might have rated corridors. Seperation between each other is not likely. Seperation like Roger described is very possible, but there are many, many variables. I would get with the GC AFTER, I repeat AFTER the plans have been approved by the city plans examiner and review what/where the rated assemblies are.

binney

Everyhing must be approved i'm roughing tommorow and I'm supposed to get it done tomorow. I'll know a lot more in the morning, I just like walking in looking like I have some clue about what's going on.

The problem is I have as much info as you do, but I have a 5 man crew waiting for me in the morning. One of them is bring the plan for me.

Things are pretty slow right now, so when something comes up I get thrown on it with little or no notice or prep.

ryan_618

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. If you are using romex, be careful to read uses not permitted, especially the part about type of construction and suspended ceilings.

Status
Not open for further replies.