ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendrix

A 200a service rated auto trans switch was installed in a residence.
The existing service is 150 amps. The EC left the old riser and meter socket and changed the service cable from the meter socket to the transfer switch to 4/0. My feeling is that he should change the socket and riser to meet the code for the new 200a service. Anyone else feel this way?

kwired

Electron manager
A 200a service rated auto trans switch was installed in a residence.
The existing service is 150 amps. The EC left the old riser and meter socket and changed the service cable from the meter socket to the transfer switch to 4/0. My feeling is that he should change the socket and riser to meet the code for the new 200a service. Anyone else feel this way?
I personally don't have much issue with it, but yet it is not NEC compliant.

Funny thing is if you tap a second disconnect to it (grouped with the other disconnect of course) and just feed a single 15 amp receptacle from it - it is then compliant as long as total load calculation is not over the ampacity of the conductors in question.

ASG

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
My feeling is that he should change the socket and riser to meet the code for the new 200a service. Anyone else feel this way?

I thought you said the service is 150A, just the switch is rated for 200A. Is there a service that is 200A?

kwired

Electron manager
I thought you said the service is 150A, just the switch is rated for 200A. Is there a service that is 200A?
My understanding - originally had 150 amp conductors and 150 amp service disconnecting means. Disconnect got swapped with a service rated transfer switch with integral 200 amp breaker but supply side conductors were left in place and are only 150 amp conductors.

Hendrix

My understanding - originally had 150 amp conductors and 150 amp service disconnecting means. Disconnect got swapped with a service rated transfer switch with integral 200 amp breaker but supply side conductors were left in place and are only 150 amp conductors.
Correct.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would agree, to meet Code the riser conductors should be rated for a 200 amp service. The meter socket might well be rated at 200 amps. If the load has not changed, it might be less expensive to change out the breaker (That would be an alteration to listed equipment so it would be good to get the AHJs approval)

Status
Not open for further replies.