Attic Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank_n

I was wondering how everyone installs attic fans. Some people cut from the inside and others cut from the outside. Some people cut circles and others cut squares.

I was talking to someone the other day that said his company cuts squares from the top, which is the opposite of what I do. (I cut circles from the bottom).

Also, how much are you charging for a new install? I charge $450, his company charges $275. (His company is faster than mine)

Frank

satcom

tonyou812 said:
I wouldnt charge less than 525 to add a attic fan. maybe a bit more for a whole house fan

A recent job the carpenter charged the Ho $470 just to make the fan opening, then we had to run a circuit and switch $324 I don't think there is any standard price, they all will differ depending on the conditions.

tonyou812

my price is also based on it not being very difficult to find power.250 would be a real hack job I dont care how long youve been doing it

Last edited:

mdshunk

The ones I use (NuTone) have a circular template on the box you cutout and trace, so that's what I do. I go into the attic and run a drywall screw up through the plywood, centered in a rafter bay. I go up on the roof and center the circular template on the screw and cut it out from above. Depending on the weather (how bearable it is in the attic), how available a circuit is with a little spare capacity, and the condition of the shingles, this is anywhere from a 2 to 3 hour job, normally. I will not cut an attic fan in a roof with old shingles, or any roofing material other than asphalt type shingles. I've typically had to charge right around 600 for this job, including the fan.

One thing I do, when wiring up the attic fan, in addition to a snap switch disconnect next to the thermostat, I use a 2-gang box and put a receptacle in that box as well. I never really looked up the code, but my gut told me I needed a receptacle when HVAC equipment was involved in the attic. I've always done it, in any event, but maybe I don't have to.

mdshunk

tonyou812 said:
But as far as which side to cut it depends on the situation, pitch, things like that.
I dunno.... you gotta go up on the roof to cut the shingles out right and pull some nails to get he cap slid up in and get it flashed right anyhow. Might as well get out of the hot attic and cut the hole while you're up there. I even prefab my disconnect as much as possible outside of the attic so I'm in there the least amount of time as possible.

By the way, this is the season for the calls to start coming in for failed attic fans, so put a spare motor and spare thermostat on the truck if you do service.

quogueelectric

I try to use gable vents like marc said prefab the entire setup on a wooden frame with a disconnect switch and screw it behind the gable vent.
I typically install a summer winter switch someplace in an unnoticable easy to get to spot. I dont like to penetrate a roof if I dont have to.
I typically try to get about 300 for this as there are guys advertising locally for 179 I dont know how they do it.

peter d

quogueelectric said:
I typically try to get about 300 for this as there are guys advertising locally for 179 I dont know how they do it.

I know how they do it...they don't make any money. A decent attic fan at the "blue" and "orange" stores and the supply house is $70-100. That leaves $80-100 for the install. Why even get out of bed.

Last edited:

quogueelectric

peter d said:
I know how they do it...they don't make any money. A decent attic fan at the "blue" and "orange" stores and the supply house is $70-100. That leaves $80-100 for the install. Why even get out of bed.
Maybe thats just a ploy to get into everyones house and leave cards stickers and try to upsell other stuff. Thats all I can guess.

mdshunk

quogueelectric said:
Maybe thats just a ploy to get into everyones house and leave cards stickers and try to upsell other stuff. Thats all I can guess.
Maybe, but that's a rough way to get work. Installing attic fans isn't exactly desirable work, I have to say.

360Youth

frank_n said:
I was wondering how everyone installs attic fans. Some people cut from the inside and others cut from the outside. Some people cut circles and others cut squares.
Frank

And some of us don't cut holes at all. :wink: :D Seriously, I have replaced several, but have never installed one new. Not sure I am so easily inclined to cut a hole in someone's roof. If I was asked tomorrow, I would tell them to have it installed and I would come wire it.

peter d

360Youth said:
Not sure I am so easily inclined to cut a hole in someone's roof.

I know roofing is not exactly rocket science (a crew of roofers can be gathered together by taking a trip to the nearest bar) but I'm inclined to agree with you.

mdshunk

peter d said:
I know roofing is not exactly rocket science (a crew of roofers can be gathered together by taking a trip to the nearest bar) but I'm inclined to agree with you.
...and for that reason, I would not advise either of you to cut a hole in anyone's roof. My Dad was a builder, so I'm sort of an old hand at it. It something you can easily teach by showing a guy one or two.

peter d

mdshunk said:
...and for that reason, I would not advise either of you to cut a hole in anyone's roof. My Dad was a builder, so I'm sort of an old hand at it. It something you can easily teach by showing a guy one or two.

It's not so much the difficulty of the task, but the liability. What if the roof leaks ? What if the shingles break? I think I could figure out how to cut a hole in a roof in about 10 minutes, but I don't want to be responsible for it.

JohnJ0906

It's not the cutting of the roof, it is the sealing.

I have wired new fans, but never cut/ installed one. The builder had them installed.
Gable fans, yes.

tonyou812

especially if it is a asphalt shingle roof. theres really nothing to it. You just need some common sense. If you see water marks or the roof is moist beware, or if it seems especially old. Its really not rocket science. If you see it done enough times its not a big deal. But it its a real nasty pitch and for some reason I cant put it in the gable end then I might charge alot more. I know my limits though. I would never put one in a ceramic tile roof or slate roof. They couldnt pay me enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.