Attic Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

peter d said:
It's not so much the difficulty of the task, but the liability. What if the roof leaks ? What if the shingles break? I think I could figure out how to cut a hole in a roof in about 10 minutes, but I don't want to be responsible for it.
I guess if you've never done one before, or fear and worry are a general part of your makeup, you might say that. They're pretty much self flashing when properly installed. You'd really have to totally screw up to have one leak. I'm not saying that everyone should start doing these now, but it's sure not rocket science, and I've never worried about making someone's roof leak for even a split-second.

peter d

mdshunk said:
or fear and worry are a general part of your makeup, you might say that.

If that were the case I wouldn't be an electrician. ;)

I think cutting holes in roofs really ranks low on the list of things I'd enjoy doing in an average day. But given the right conditions I would do it.

frizbeedog

mdshunk said:
By the way, this is the season for the calls to start coming in for failed attic fans, so put a spare motor and spare thermostat on the truck if you do service.

What type of motor? Are they all the same? Installed mabey two attic fans ever, so I really don't know.

mdshunk

frizbeedog said:
What type of motor? Are they all the same? Installed mabey two attic fans ever, so I really don't know.
No, they're not all the same, but there's a certain motor that's in probably 75% of them. I have one handy here. I'll run out and get it. It has a generic stock number that you can use at pretty much any motor shop. Heck, Lowe's even sells replacement attic fan motors.

peter d

frizbeedog said:
What type of motor? Are they all the same?

I think they are brand specific, but don't quote me on that. I'm also inclined to believe that they probably all come from the same factory in China. That's a really wordy way of saying "I don't know." :D

frizbeedog

peter d said:
It's not so much the difficulty of the task, but the liability. What if the roof leaks ? What if the shingles break? I think I could figure out how to cut a hole in a roof in about 10 minutes, but I don't want to be responsible for it.

One word.....Roof Tar. :D

Wait... that's two.

quogueelectric

frizbeedog said:
One word.....Roof Tar. :D

Wait... that's two.
Karnack in a tube I have installed a dozen roofs and it really isnt rocket science but I would always install a ridge vent and power vent it at the gable end. My hooves wont hold in anything over a 5 pitch. First knuckle on inex finger is 1 in side overhang. second knuckle is 2" starter course overhang. The roofers ruler the finger.

satcom

peter d said:
I know how they do it...they don't make any money. A decent attic fan at the "blue" and "orange" stores and the supply house is $70-100. That leaves $80-100 for the install. Why even get out of bed.

The ones around here that advertise the $199 fan installs, get in the door, than end up selling them on a $7 or 8 hundred dollar install, the 199 is just to get in to make the killer sale, once they make the sales pitch 90% go for the what they think is the better job, door operner prices not ment to make money, they are used just to attract customers, but you would be supprised how many contractors try to compete with these opener prices.

Just remember if the roof leaks from your installation, the water damage is no small item, it can cost you everything.

Last edited:

mdshunk

quogueelectric said:
Why does everyone say it is not rocket science is this the insult the roofer site.:smile:??
Yeah.

Here's some pics of the typical replacement attic fan motor. It's also the same motor used in many wall furnaces and console heaters.

P1010218.jpg

P1010219.jpg

P1010220.jpg

satcom

quogueelectric said:
Why does everyone say it is not rocket science is this the insult the roofer site.:smile:??

You really have to know your trade when your making roof openings, it may not be rocket sciience, but if your installation leaks, you better have plenty of money and good insurance.

mdshunk

satcom said:
You really have to know your trade when your making roof openings, it may not be rocket sciience, but if your installation leaks, you better have plenty of money and good insurance.
I darned near wrote a 1/2 hour ago that you would write that when you responded to this thread. You must have had some real Jim-Dandy's working for you over the years. Many of your responses follow the general theme you just wrote.

mivey

peter d said:
Or silicone caulk.
Roof tar lasts longer. I have seen too much of the silicon turn loose. I carry extra tar on a roof to patch old silicon spots, cracked boots, etc as a value-added service while I'm there.

[edit: I also clean the gutters and valleys]

Last edited:

mdshunk

mivey said:
Roof tar lasts longer. I have seen too much of the silicon turn loose. I carry extra tar on a roof to patch old silicon spots, cracked boots, etc as a value-added service while I'm there.
Actually, you don't tar anything. It's self-flashing. A couple dots of any type of roof sealant under any shingle tabs you scraped up to seal them back down is good practice, though, just to keep wind from working them up until they "melt" stuck to the row below again.

mivey

mdshunk said:
Actually, you don't tar anything. It's self-flashing. A couple dots of any type of roof sealant under any shingle tabs you scraped up to seal them back down is good practice, though, just to keep wind from working them up until they "melt" stuck to the row below again.
Actually, I do. I at least tar the nails. I also like to hit the edge if the roof is a little uneven. I also hit any edges that just look peculiar as well. It may be overkill, but that's what I would do to mine. I agree on the tab glue-down as well.

satcom

mdshunk said:
I darned near wrote a 1/2 hour ago that you would write that when you responded to this thread. You must have had some real Jim-Dandy's working for you over the years. Many of your responses follow the general theme you just wrote.

None of my employees, I just have seen a lot of jobs gone bad, over the years.

360Youth

mdshunk said:
No, they're not all the same, but there's a certain motor that's in probably 75% of them. I have one handy here. I'll run out and get it. It has a generic stock number that you can use at pretty much any motor shop. Heck, Lowe's even sells replacement attic fan motors.

In a pinch, I have bought the fan and just used the motor.

tmbrk

We use a licensed roofer on attic fan installs. We usually do them on Sat. mornings because we can more easily coordinate our schedules. I've cut them in before but I'm not really comfortable doing it any more. Leave it for the pros. If it's a walkable roof it's O.K. but start getting into steeper roofs and forget it. Then you have to use toeboards and stuff. Again I leave it for the pros.
I think it's a good selling point also. Tell the customer that a licensed roofer will be cutting in their fan and they feel better.

We are getting into peak season for attic fans. So to speak.:roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.