Attic Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

I carry a small 24 ft. extension ladder on the van but if anyone wants me to climb any higher than that they had better be willing to come up with serious money. I don't install many attic fans. Most of the homes in this area are tall with a lot of 12 pitch roofs.

I really don't go looking for attic fans to install, I don't mind letting others have those jobs.

Back in the day when I did install a bunch of them I would cut a round hole from the top ( used a small chain saw). I did seal the opening and nail holes and like Marc said I wouldn't touch an old shingle roof ( put a leg through one just looking at a job, rotten decking).

It's probably worth at least $500 to $600 for all the risk and liability and for a 12 pitch using a 40 ft ladder it should a lot more.

ultramegabob

growler said:
Back in the day when I did install a bunch of them I would cut a round hole from the top ( used a small chain saw).

If I were the home owner, and I saw my electrician climbing on my roof with a chainsaw, I would be really concernd...

growler

ultramegabob said:
If I were the home owner, and I saw my electrician climbing on my roof with a chainsaw, I would be really concernd...

Before all the cordless tools those little 14" chain saws were just the thing to have. Many trades around here used them, a plumber could cut an opening for a vent pipe in about 5 seconds and not bother to roll out any power cords.

Folks I don't even own a chain saw now I have cordless tools.

I do miss the old chain saw because for some reason collections were easier in those days ( hockey mask optional ).

By the way I can trim you toe nails with a good sharp chain saw and neve leave a scratch on the toes. Cutting a nice round hole in a roof was no problem. 25 years ago some electricians would just use a framming hatchet and hack a hole in the roof ( messy).

peter d

growler said:
Before all the cordless tools those little 14" chain saws were just the thing to have. Many trades around here used them, a plumber could cut an opening for a vent pipe in about 5 seconds and not bother to roll out any power cords.

I actually remember reading an old edition of Fine Homebuilding with an article about chainsaw use for framers and carpenters.

mdshunk

peter d said:
I actually remember reading an old edition of Fine Homebuilding with an article about chainsaw use for framers and carpenters.
Some of the HVAC guys around here still use chainsaws to cut register openings in the subfloor when the jobsite doesn't have power yet. Super fast, and they can do a neat job. The only drawback is that when two of them both have chainsaws running inside a house that has been dried in, it can get a little stinky.

Status
Not open for further replies.