AutoCAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbaumer

By the way, my symbols look huge because this job is plotted a 1/16" scale.

They would ordinally be shown much smaller but I could get an entire floor on one sheet at 1/16" scale. This is just a fire alarm replacement job too so 1/8" or 1/4" scale is not required. Mostly symbols.

bbaumer

Here they are blown up and together:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Karl H

Thank you, Greying out the background was one of the problems I have
faced ,but wasn't able to figure out on my own.

So far I've been doing everything in floating model space scaled.
I really don't do much in model space. All of my symbols I've drawn
myself in real time ie. 1/8 scale, a receps circle is drawn at 15" OD. When I
insert them in 1/4 scale I insert them at .5.

You guys have been a huge help. I think I'm starting to get the lineweights
and the relation with the color.

Another question I have always wondered is, why on earth do
engineers use Yellow for a text layer? I really hate that.
But then again there is a reason for everthing.

bbaumer

I draw almost everything in model space.

I only put sheet numbers, title and other title block information that changes from sheet to sheet in paperspace plus the actual block of text for the keynotes.

I put the keynote "bubbles" (circles, triangles etc.) on the plan in modelspace but on their own layer.

I plot from paperspace.

Having worked with and for several AE firms this is pretty typical. I HATED paperspace when it first came out. Mostly because I did not understand it. I love it now that I know how to use it.

cadpoint

Another question I have always wondered is, why on earth do
engineers use Yellow for a text layer? I really hate that.
But then again there is a reason for everthing.

I always used a secondary weight color or even grey.

My only other thought is the caution aspect of using that color for a room title. :)

My state did a highway sign color study that included a yellow one for school crossing and pedx's and all the other yellows,
it is near flourscent yellow, and yes it does catch ones eye!

The state does now use this color choice based on their study!
:roll:

Last edited:

Karl H

I always used a secondary weight color or even grey.

My only other thought is the caution aspect of using that color for a room title. :)

My state did a highway sign color study that included a yellow one for school crossing and pedx's and all the other yellows,
it is near flourscent yellow, and yes it does catch ones eye!

The state does now use this color choice based on their study!
:roll:

Honestly I hate yellow for text cause It is very very hard to read in
paperspace. At least 10 symbol legends I have as reffrence is ,yellow.

Honestly I hate yellow for text cause It is very very hard to read in
paperspace. At least 10 symbol legends I have as reffrence is ,yellow.

Color choice often has more to do with the final plot than it does color while you draft. I prefer most blocks to be built on layer0, with color and linetype set as "by layer". It's real easy to change a layer color while you draft, then change it back to plot.

Don't be afraid to change your P-Space setup... Change the "paper color" to a darker shade, toggle it on and off, etc.

Once you know where your title block goes, you don't really need to see the "paper" and it is often easier on the eyes.

For me, notes always go on their own layer, often more than one, whether they are in paper space or model space.

I also recommend you stop drafting in scale. Use real world units in Mspace and set your scale in Pspace using vport scale.

Karl H

Color choice often has more to do with the final plot than it does color while you draft. I prefer most blocks to be built on layer0, with color and linetype set as "by layer". It's real easy to change a layer color while you draft, then change it back to plot.

Don't be afraid to change your P-Space setup... Change the "paper color" to a darker shade, toggle it on and off, etc.

Once you know where your title block goes, you don't really need to see the "paper" and it is often easier on the eyes.

For me, notes always go on their own layer, often more than one, whether they are in paper space or model space.

I also recommend you stop drafting in scale. Use real world units in Mspace and set your scale in Pspace using vport scale.

Thank you ,very good advice. Other than commands I think I've
learned more from you guys than I did in class. In school I learned a lot
about drafting in CAD when it came to the Mechanical side. Electrical
IMO seems to be more Lay-out and those questions weren't fully addressed
in detail.

Status
Not open for further replies.