Automatic Controls for Corridor Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbendillo

The international energy code requires automatic lighting controls for buildings 5000 square feet or larger. I have always had a problem interpreting if corridor lighting needs to be provided with automatic controls. I don't think the energy code is clear on this point so I provide automatic controls for corridors. I make sure the controls don't affect the operation of the emergency egress lighting. I would appreciate any opinion. I know this isn't an energy code forum but it is lighting related.

mauk

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
The NYS energy code has exceptions for corridors/stairways that are egress elements, I'd imagine the international code would have something similar.

I typically review options with the building owner and design around their preference (manual only, occupancy-based, time-based hold on during day then revert to occupancy-based control afterhours, nightlights, etc)

lielec11

The NYS energy code has exceptions for corridors/stairways that are egress elements, I'd imagine the international code would have something similar.

I typically review options with the building owner and design around their preference (manual only, occupancy-based, time-based hold on during day then revert to occupancy-based control afterhours, nightlights, etc)

Agree. In NYS and NYC there is a requirement for automatic controls for all general area lighting like lobbies and corridors. Typically for normal corridor lighting I will design on a time clock with an override switch for after hours. For emergency corridor lighting (egress), I will design them to be controlled via a keyed switch or via special contact that senses the loss of normal power and automatically will turn them on.

Status
Not open for further replies.