Automatic Generator by a window?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankft2000

I'm trying to find out what the minimum distance can be for a generator to a window. Also if the window was to a garage, would that be different than a window to the house. I'm looking at a Generac manual, but it does not state a minimum distance.

kwired

Electron manager
Nothing in NEC AFAIK.

If window is necessary for emergency egress there could be required clearances for egress purposes but nothing related to the fact that you have a generator.

BJ Conner

UBC Universal Building Code.

UBC Universal Building Code.

The universal building code UBC has the answer.
IF i remember correctly the generator and the fuel it contains is a potential fire hazzard. Windows are not an effective fire barrier.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On page 12 of the Owner's Manual (for 8-20K units) the suggested distance from a window is 60". Aside from the drawing there is a note on the top of the drawing that states No windows or openings in the wall permitted within 5 feet from any point of the generator. I believe this has to do with inhabitable space and not a detached garage. IMHO, I don't think you have that critical a problem if you are using NG. However, LP exhaust presents a different situation

ksmith846

Here it is 10' away from all doors and windows regardless of egress.

Another item to be aware of is that the exhaust can and will sometimes enter through the eave vents causing CO buildup in the attic space.

kwired

Electron manager
Here it is 10' away from all doors and windows regardless of egress.

Another item to be aware of is that the exhaust can and will sometimes enter through the eave vents causing CO buildup in the attic space.

Why should CO build up in attic? I understand it may be drawn in, but the same convection process that draws it in should pull it on through and exhaust it also.

I do see exhaust gases as a potential concern for requiring certain distances from openings - a window that does not open could possibly be treated different than one that does open. As far as type of fuel, I don't necessarily bite on that as much - the heating system of the building could very well use same fuel and it is allowed inside.

You do have issues with the exhaust on heating systems and keeping the exhaust outlet away from openings that will allow the exhaust into the building. Same with a generator located inside a building with the exhaust routed to the outside.

ksmith846

Maybe "buildup" was the wrong term....there was a case here where the exhaust was entering the attic and the HO's were getting sick from it unknowingly on a monthly basis.

That's the only reason I mentioned it.......

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe "buildup" was the wrong term....there was a case here where the exhaust was entering the attic and the HO's were getting sick from it unknowingly on a monthly basis.

That should not happen, I was going follow that with "with a properly ventilated attic" but even that should not matter. There would have to be negative air pressure in the home to draw the CO into the living space.

ksmith846

Maybe it was not CO.....maybe it was just simply the exhaust.....I just know that there were problems here not too long ago resulting from exhaust getting into the attic via the vents. Just to clarify prior to it being queried, it was not any job I was associated with.

kwired

Electron manager
Maybe it was not CO.....maybe it was just simply the exhaust.....I just know that there were problems here not too long ago resulting from exhaust getting into the attic via the vents. Just to clarify prior to it being queried, it was not any job I was associated with.

Isn't CO the prime component of concern in the exhaust? Next biggest problem would be unburned fuel in the exhaust but primarily only if the engine has some problems resulting in this situation. The smell could be annoying especially with a diesel engine but is not necessarily a health concern as compared to CO.

My point was that ventilation in attics typically draws air in from lower level vents and simple convection of warm air rising pulls it upward to where it exits out of another ventilation opening. A mechanical system uses fans to increase the amount of air that is circulated but still ordinarily draws air in from a low level and it exits at a high level.

Now if you are getting unwanted air into the living space via the attic you have to have some kind of ventilation system that is pulling air out of the living space and there is not enough make up air from elsewhere, and it is creating negative pressure within the living space and pulling air in every opening available - including any path to the attic.

This kind of problem is more common in commercial kitchens where they have exhaust fans pulling a pretty fair volume of air out of the building - but they have not made provisions to allow make up air to enter somewhere. If the building is sealed pretty well then you have suction at every door and window. Sometimes great enough that doors are difficult to open.

ksmith846

Isn't CO the prime component of concern in the exhaust? Next biggest problem would be unburned fuel in the exhaust but primarily only if the engine has some problems resulting in this situation. The smell could be annoying especially with a diesel engine but is not necessarily a health concern as compared to CO.

My point was that ventilation in attics typically draws air in from lower level vents and simple convection of warm air rising pulls it upward to where it exits out of another ventilation opening. A mechanical system uses fans to increase the amount of air that is circulated but still ordinarily draws air in from a low level and it exits at a high level.

Now if you are getting unwanted air into the living space via the attic you have to have some kind of ventilation system that is pulling air out of the living space and there is not enough make up air from elsewhere, and it is creating negative pressure within the living space and pulling air in every opening available - including any path to the attic.

This kind of problem is more common in commercial kitchens where they have exhaust fans pulling a pretty fair volume of air out of the building - but they have not made provisions to allow make up air to enter somewhere. If the building is sealed pretty well then you have suction at every door and window. Sometimes great enough that doors are difficult to open.

Ok....

I am a Generac dealer. If you give me the model # I can get you the info you need. There are specs on placement because the generator gives off gaseous fumes that can enter the building. I've had some inspectors ask for the products document on proper location.

Status
Not open for further replies.