Automatic transfer switch in NEC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would someone help me out here?

I've been digging in the NEC and I am having trouble locating requirements regarding ATSs.
The question is can you have utility (line side) power and load side power of the Ats in the same junction box or do you have to have completely different raceways for both?

Thanks

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Junction boxes and raceways do not have the same rules. If these are utility conductors on the line side of the service disconnect, they are not permitted in the same raceway as any other conductors. See 230.7, and note that it does not apply to junction boxes, only raceways and cables.

Junction boxes and raceways do not have the same rules. If these are utility conductors on the line side of the service disconnect, they are not permitted in the same raceway as any other conductors. See 230.7, and note that it does not apply to junction boxes, only raceways and cables.
So if I have 2 raceways 1 being utility and the other being load side, both entering a junction box and passing through, then I'm good? That's what I figured but couldn't find anything on it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
So if I have 2 raceways 1 being utility and the other being load side, both entering a junction box and passing through, then I'm good? That's what I figured but couldn't find anything on it.
That is what the code says, but there are a number of AHJs that don't agree that is what the code says, so you really need to verify with your AHJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.