Automatically Controlled Receptacles - ASHRAE 90.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Am in the construction administration phase of a project where we designated one receptacle in each office (prefab walls so I only need 25%) as being switched. We switched it via an aux contact off the occ sensor for that room. The client is doing everything they can to assure that that receptacle is the one that is used the least. And understandably so given that if people leave for lunch e.g. and come back to always find that there computer has been shut down improperly on a daily basis, that could be a problem. Any thoughts on a better way to implement this requirement to be minimally disruptive. I realize of course, that you can keep your computer on the unswitched. But people tend to avoid these things altogether.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Most small one-person offices have the door in a corner, like a bedroom, so I'd suggest the receptacle on the wall closest to where the door opens.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is no requirement that the controlled receptacles get used, just a requirement in the energy code to install them.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
What I’ve seen in plans I’ve bid are switching half of a marked plug load receptacle. It’s a receptacle with an icon on one side indicating it is switched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Large placard next to the switched outlet that says "NO COMPUTERS! POWER MAY BE CUT OFF AUTOMATICALLY AT ANY TIME!"

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
Biggest benefit would be to make sure any 'footwarmer' personal heaters get plugged into the switched outlet!

Status
Not open for further replies.