Automotive Training Facility

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhandas

Section 511 covers commercial car repair garages. Would a car repair teaching facility at a Community College that has about 20 bays also be required to comply with the applicable provisions of article 500?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Re: Automotive Training Facility

It does - and permit me to explain why.

While the titles of Articles may be useful, they are not "code" themselves. It is the "Scope" of the Article that is important. In this case, Section 511.1:

511.1 Scope
These occupancies shall include locations used for service and repair operations in connection with self-propelled vehicles (including, but not limited to, passenger automobiles, buses, trucks, and tractors) in which volatile flammable liquids or flammable gases are used for fuel or power.
Note there is no reference to to?"commercial," but rather to the nature of the activities.

pierre

Re: Automotive Training Facility

rbalex
I agree, in fact, I have the classses that I teach highlight and read each and every scope several times during the time period of the class. This helps more than you may think.
Not every Art has a scope, and there are some Parts that have scopes, I have them highlight them as well. Also, in the different Parts of the different Articles, the Section directly following the Part is sometimes like a scope (general), and I have them read and highlight those as well.

A good example is the scope for Art 408, and see Art 400, Part III (400.30).

Status
Not open for further replies.