Auxillery Gutters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Deane

I wasn't exactly sure which topic was best so I'll ask here.

In which year did they have it in the code book that you could not use an auxillery gutter for a wire way?

raider1

Staff member
Welcome to the forum.:)

In which year did they have it in the code book that you could not use an auxillery gutter for a wire way?

Could you be a little more specific about which code section you are referencing?

Chris

russ

As far as construction of a wire-way and auxiliary gutter their the same material used for different purposes. A wire-way is used at any length.
An auxiliary gutter supplements wiring space at meter enclosures, distribution centers, switch boards and similar points of wiring systems.
Auxiliary gutters cannot extend more than 30ft beyond the equipment it supplements.

Article 366 and 376 2008 NEC and 2002 NEC --362 and 374 1999 NEC

russ

If the auxiliary gutters are used for service conductors 230.7 would come in to play.
No branch circuits or feeders are allowed in the same raceway with the service conductors.

If the auxiliary gutters are used for service conductors 230.7 would come in to play.
No branch circuits or feeders are allowed in the same raceway with the service conductors.

Okay, I have waited since January for someone?s opinion. Auxiliary gutters normally have dual listings depending on how it is installed to be classified as an auxiliary gutter. I?m going to throw out my opinion as feeders and branch circuit conductors can share the same auxiliary gutter as service conductors.

If this is a repeat of another thread please post link.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Okay, I have waited since January for someone?s opinion. Auxiliary gutters normally have dual listings depending on how it is installed to be classified as an auxiliary gutter. I?m going to throw out my opinion as feeders and branch circuit conductors can share the same auxiliary gutter as service conductors.

If this is a repeat of another thread please post link.

By using the term throw out, do you mean throw out as in "discard" or "state"?

If the latter of the two, I agree. Defintion of an Auxiliary Gutter (366.2) deems it as an "enclosure". The restriction imposed by 230.7 is limited to " service raceway or service cable".

Status
Not open for further replies.