Avoiding Glare From Residential Downlights

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
In residential lighting design, how does one avoid excessive glare from downlights?

In particular, it seems to me that one of the reasons recessed lights are recessed is to provide some cutoff to reduce glare. So does that mean that the ultra-thin drywall mount LED downlights have worse glare, since the light diffuser is basically at the ceiling plane? Is it enough of a problem that a room lit primarily with them may be objectionable? If so, is there a way to mitigate this issue?

Any pointers or guidelines on this issue appreciated.

Thanks,
Wayne

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The wafer LEDs I've installed have had recessed lenses, but I have also put in a few with lenses that sit proud of the surface.

As with any light source, if you look at the light, it will glare. If you look at what the light illuminates, you won't notice it.

Have you ever realized how dirty your windshield can get before you notice it, because you're not focusing on it? Like that.

Buck Parrish

That glare can be a problem with the glass on paintings, prints in glass.

Attachments

• 00d0d_jlSlbCtUqGZ_600x450.jpg
    00d0d_jlSlbCtUqGZ_600x450.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 16

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
By "ultra-thin" drywall mount LED, I mean the kind that you can mount under a joist, e.g. Halo HLB4/6, or Lithonia WF4/6. With only 1/2" of thickness, the diffuser is basically at the plane of the ceiling finish. And I'm wondering how they compare in terms of lighting quality/glare to the more usual style where the diffuser is recessed a couple inches.

Any by glare I'm mostly thinking of "you're looking across the room, but this bright spot on the ceiling is really very bright and annoying/distracting, even when it is just at the edge of your field of vision."

Cheers, Wayne

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Two things I do to accomplish this;

Use deep trims that keep the light source further up in the ceiling, or use an indirect recessed fixture.

The Juno ICxxLED type fixtures are great for this. These aren't cheap though.... they start around $200 for the rough-in fixture, and you still have to buy the trim.

I really like 2" recessed fixtures also; two that I use are the Juno 2LED, and Nicor DLR 2". The Juno complete fixture will start around $140 for a flood type, and the Nicor around $60 complete. They have various options that will raise the price. These fixtures are really close to being the same thing, but, on the 2" Nicor you will never be able to access the driver from below the ceiling. The Juno driver has a hinge that allows it to slide back out of the ceiling. Something to keep in mind when designing for an inaccessible area.

For indirect recessed, look at something like DALS lighting INDx type, or Element Lighting Reflections series. The DALS fixtures start around $60 (that includes rough-in bracket), the Element Lighting are closer to $300 for fixture & trim.

I like to use smaller diameter recessed fixtures; 4" & 2" primarily. Just depends on the space.

By "ultra-thin" drywall mount LED, I mean the kind that you can mount under a joist, e.g. Halo HLB4/6, or Lithonia WF4/6. With only 1/2" of thickness, the diffuser is basically at the plane of the ceiling finish. And I'm wondering how they compare in terms of lighting quality/glare to the more usual style where the diffuser is recessed a couple inches.

Any by glare I'm mostly thinking of "you're looking across the room, but this bright spot on the ceiling is really very bright and annoying/distracting, even when it is just at the edge of your field of vision."

Cheers, Wayne

I get what you are saying. I have used the ultra thins quite a bit and have never found glare to be an issue.

kwired

Electron manager

Cheers, Wayne

You will have that with about any light source other than indirect light sources.

You can reduce that effect to some degree with baffle type trims or other styles where the light emerges from deeper within the opening, which you can't do with the mentioned "wafer thin" type units. I have used a lot of Lithonia WF4/6 and don't think they are all that bad though and seem to have less glare than some other older trims I had used before with lamp set somewhat deep but has full depth reflector in the trim.

Status
Not open for further replies.