back feed 30-KVA transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEADFOOT2

I have a Sq-D EX30T3H transformer, have a situation that the customer wants to supply the xmer on the secondary with 120 / 208V, to produce 480V on the primary. Are there any pitfalls in doing such ?

The transformer is designed for 480V, delta primary... 120 / 208V WYE secondary.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a Sq-D EX30T3H transformer, have a situation that the customer wants to supply the xmer on the secondary with 120 / 208V, to produce 480V on the primary. Are there any pitfalls in doing such ?

The transformer is designed for 480V, delta primary... 120 / 208V WYE secondary.

Yep, a whole bunch of reasons not to do this. You will have a delta 480 output which in almost all cases is a negative and for some loads is a deal breaker. The correct 208 delta to 480Y transformer is readily available and is a much better choice.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Are there any pitfalls in doing such ?

One caveat: If you do connect a Y secondary as a primary, do not connect the supply neutral to X-0; let it float as if it was a delta primary.

As stated above, your new delta will require corner-grounding, neutral derivation, or ground detection.

The delta-Y transformer Tex mentioned is better, unless you need an ungrounded delta for some reason.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If you are under the '17 Code, see 450.11(B). You can only backfeed a transformer provided you have manufacturer's instructions.
There was a recent thread that went into detail as to why but I can't seem to locate it.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I've noticed that on many new transformers the nameplate specifically says something like "for step up use only".

norcal

Another thing to add to the reasons above not to do it, See 450.11(B) this can nix doing a backfed X-former.

LEADFOOT2

back feed transformer

back feed transformer

Other info that I didn't add was that the owner wanted to use the same transformer as a step up & step down via of xfer switches. As I read the replies ( which joggled my brain cells ) & the deeper I thought about this scenario, it's not going to work. So, I have to come up with another plan.

Thanks all for your inputs.

Status
Not open for further replies.