Back Feeding Circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic for the install in the first place. Is the cord just energizing a dead duplex just inches away from a live one?

480sparky

Dead circuit on one of those duplexes, so its being energized from a live one.
I get that. But why go through the addition of the suicide cord to energize the duplex (resulting in just a simplex recep when you're done) when you can just plug into the energized recep just inches away?

In other words, why not just have this:

nonextended.jpg

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I get that. But why go through the addition of the suicide cord to energize the duplex (resulting in just a simplex recep when you're done) when you can just plug into the energized recep just inches away?

😂 You think to hard :) Sometimes it is easier to just make to male ends and not go through the trouble of taking things apart. As for why there are two outlets in the same location I think at some point in time girls kept blowing the existing circuit with multiple hair dryers.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'm trying to wrap my head around the logic for the install in the first place. Is the cord just energizing a dead duplex just inches away from a live one?
No, there is an exterior receptacle back-to-back to the one on the right that is being fed through the wall.

This is gleaned from what the sign says.

480sparky

😂 You think to hard :) Sometimes it is easier to just make to male ends and not go through the trouble of taking things apart. As for why there are two outlets in the same location I think at some point in time girls kept blowing the existing circuit with multiple hair dryers.

The addition of more receptacles doesn't increase the available current. But in this case, there's not any more receptacles added. No matter what, there's only two energized.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The addition of more receptacles doesn't increase the available current. But in this case, there's not any more receptacles added. No matter what, there's only two energized.
Again, the carport receptacle is being energized through this contraption.

synchro

Occupation
EE

In other words, why not just have this:

View attachment 2556274
Perhaps the recepacle on the dead circuit that mbooke mentions is connected to other outlets in the "carport". And so the suicide cord would be powering up the carport area and not just the dead receptacle.
Certainly crazy though.
Maybe the original post was Photoshop'ed too.

Just seeing Larry's post, adding a receptacle behind the dead receptacle on the carport side could be likely just because it's so easy to do.

Last edited:

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

Two circuits, one is now dead, hence the back feed. Dunno, its all a guess.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'll try again. The Decora receptacle on the right was installed solely to supply one on the other side of the wall.

It's like using an outlet (instead of an inlet) on the outside of a house to feed a generator receptacle on the inside.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I'll try again. The Decora receptacle on the right was installed solely to supply one on the other side of the wall.

It's like using an outlet (instead of an inlet) on the outside of a house to feed a generator receptacle on the inside.
I interpreted it that way too.

The scary thing to me is, WHY is that carport circuit dead in the first place, and why was this the solution? If the circuit was dead, we can surmise there was a bad connection somewhere. By back-feeding it from another circuit, you have the potential that the bad connection would be found some day and in fixing it, the person doing so gets exposed to this back fed circuit and gets injured or killed. Bad juju...

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I interpreted it that way too.

The scary thing to me is, WHY is that carport circuit dead in the first place, and why was this the solution? If the circuit was dead, we can surmise there was a bad connection somewhere. By back-feeding it from another circuit, you have the potential that the bad connection would be found some day and in fixing it, the person doing so gets exposed to this back fed circuit and gets injured or killed. Bad juju...
Or the carport didn't have a receptacle and this was the easy way to install one.

LarryFine

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This would be the hard way to install one. There are easier ways, and ones that are legal.
From our perspective, yes. From that of a DIYer who only envisions what he sees on a daily basis, perhaps not.

What I mean is that we see a receptacle, a plate, a box, cable, staples, other boxes, a breaker, etc.

The DIYer sees a receptacle and a plate. I'll bet the wire between the boxes is also lamp cord.

Status
Not open for further replies.