backup battery enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

toleary

can anyone tell me which standard, code, rule, regulation etc. describes the proper way to house back up batteries for security/access/video power supplies?
how about fusing for them?

L

Lxnxjxhx

you probably already know it, but

you probably already know it, but

lead-acids under charge give off hydrogen, which is explosive.

mdshunk

iwire said:
It's been a long time since lead acid batteries were used for security panels.
Who said anything about lead-acid?

Oh, I see... "This message is hidden because Lxnxjxhx is on your ignore list."

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The batteries I used in my alarm panels, fire panels, telemetry units are sealed lead acid, AGM is the trade name. They are a lead acid battery that is sealed.

L

Lxnxjxhx

because Lxnxjxhx is on your ignore list

because Lxnxjxhx is on your ignore list

I'm on my own ignore list.

toleary

yeah man, who said anything about lead acid?
hahahaha

but afaik lead acid still being used for security

UL 294 has a little on it.
maybe NEMA
maybe NEC

Locknetics (Schlage) sells an enclosure for 'em.
sho nuff, those things can be dangerous, especially the 8 AH size.
try shorting one out some time.

it just makes sense to enclose them

I went to service an access system at the sheriff's office; the EAC head end was all in his server room, and the original installer put half a dozen backup batteries on a wood shelf.

I'm sure it's wrong, I just need chapter and verse proof.
thanx for the replies

iwire

Staff member
tom baker said:
The batteries I used in my alarm panels, fire panels, telemetry units are sealed lead acid, AGM is the trade name. They are a lead acid battery that is sealed.

Well I leaned something new, I did not think those sealed batteries where lead acid, but regardless they do not out gas hydrogen.

mdshunk

toleary said:
I went to service an access system at the sheriff's office; the EAC head end was all in his server room, and the original installer put half a dozen backup batteries on a wood shelf.
I dunno. Generator starting batteries and UPS battery racks are on little more than a fancied up "shelf".

iwire

Staff member
chris kennedy said:
They will when the deputy gets bored and uses them for target pratice.

Not something I would lose sleep over unless my house was next door. :wink:

I have heard the local fire dept respond to sprinkler flow twice at a local gun range, both times someone had hit a sprinkler head instead of the target.

csparkrun

toleary said:
can anyone tell me which standard, code, rule, regulation etc. describes the proper way to house back up batteries for security/access/video power supplies?
im not sure of the application, but how about this
altronix 1224c enclosure sorry link not working

Last edited:

Rampage_Rick

tom baker said:
AGM is the trade name
"A trade name is the name which a business trades under for commercial purposes"

Absorbed Glass Mat is a type of construction for sealed lead-acid batteries.

iwire said:
Well I leaned something new, I did not think those sealed batteries where lead acid, but regardless they do not out gas hydrogen.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VRLA

"VRLA stands for Valve Regulated Lead Acid and is the designation for maintenance-free lead-acid batteries. VRLA batteries can present several technologies such as:

* Absorbed glass mat battery
* Gel battery

These batteries are often colloquially called sealed lead-acid batteries, but this term is misleading: a sealed battery would be a safety hazard due to overpressure risks when overcharging, and there is always a safety valve present, hence the name valve-regulated. Sealed is opposed to vented (also called flooded)"

And yes, VRLA "sealed" batteries do occasionally vent (probably need to be replaced in any event) and while they can be used in any orientation, if they vent while not upright they may burp acid (first hand knowledge... not fun, or cheap)

coulter

NFPA 70E has a section on batteries. There are a couple of IEEE specs. 1187, 1188 sticks in my mind, but I'm not sure.

carl

iwire

Staff member
Rampage_Rick said:
And yes, VRLA "sealed" batteries do occasionally vent (probably need to be replaced in any event) and while they can be used in any orientation, if they vent while not upright they may burp acid (first hand knowledge... not fun, or cheap)

I don't know what you all are using but I can't find anything on the batteries we use that looks like a vent, and while I have replaced many that where bulged out or hotter then I wanted to hold have never seen one release any liquid.

Wikipedia :rolleyes: ..... the dumbing down of reference material. :rolleyes:

The fact that Wikkipedia can be edited by ANYONE at ANYTIME IMO means it is no more accurate then anything found on any Internet forum.

Rampage_Rick

iwire said:
I don't know what you all are using but I can't find anything on the batteries we use that looks like a vent, and while I have replaced many that where bulged out or hotter then I wanted to hold have never seen one release any liquid.
Panasonic covers theirs with 1/2" plastic discs:

34L104S4.jpg

Other brands use a plastic sheet to cover the whole top of the battery. Look close enough and you'll find one or more tiny holes for the gas to vent through. IIRC the ones that I had acid leakage from were hecho en China, circa 1995. Bulged batteries scare me more than anything else, especially lithium ones.

Last edited:

ELA

Occupation
Electrical Test Engineer
Here is the one we use in alarm panels with the same vents at the top.
SRL-Ar.jpg

UL864 section 6.5 is very detailed as to the requirements of the battery box.

HighWirey

toleary said:

Doesn?t your manfacturer/vendor provide backup documentation detailing "standard, code, rule, regulation" and fusing information before you purchase their product? I always had to submit that kind of information before purchase, including battery calculations. And this information may be location specific.

Best Wishes Everyone

Status
Not open for further replies.