ballast disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

teco

Hi,

Are lighting fixture manufacturers required to provide ballast disconnects in their fixtures or is it up to the EC? I know the nec requires them for our type of installation. We have 220 T8 2x4 lay in fixtures to install and I didn't see any disconnects in the fixtures the company is supplying. I thought I heard after 08 these were required to be in new commercial fixtures by the maker.

Thanks

jeremysterling

I just read 410.73(G) in the 2005 NEC. IMO, there is no need for the manufacturer to install ballast disconnects because there are exceptions to the disconnect rule.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Here's the 2008 version. Does your installation meet one of the exceptions? Otherwise IMO you need to comply with the disconnect requirement.

XIII. Special Provisions for Electric-Discharge Lighting Systems of 1000 Volts or Less
410.130(G) Disconnecting Means.
(1) General. In indoor locations other than dwellings and associated accessory structures, fluorescent luminaires that utilize double-ended lamps and contain ballast(s) that can be serviced in place shall have a disconnecting means either internal or external to each luminaire. The line side terminals of the disconnecting means shall be guarded.
Exception No. 1: A disconnecting means shall not be required for luminaires installed in hazardous (classified) location(s).
Exception No. 2: A disconnecting means shall not be required for emergency illumination required in 700.16.
Exception No. 3: For cord-and-plug-connected luminaires, an accessible separable connector or an accessible plug and receptacle shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.
Exception No. 4: A disconnecting means shall not be required in industrial establishments with restricted public access where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation by written procedures.
Exception No. 5: Where more than one luminaire is installed and supplied by other than a multiwire branch circuit, a disconnecting means shall not be required for every luminaire when the design of the installation includes disconnecting means, such that the illuminated space cannot be left in total darkness.

teco

Here's the 2008 version. Does your installation meet one of the exceptions? Otherwise IMO you need to comply with the disconnect requirement.

The install is in office areas, I think we need the disconnects.. Earlier, I was thinking maybe #5. If we use a wall switch as a disconnect it would leave the area total darkness. I believe your right and we need to comply. Thanks

ballast disconnects

So the wall switch would be allowed as the disconnecting means as per NEC 2008 410.130 (G)(1) exception No.5 and 410.130(G)(3) for a room with several fluorescent lights or a room with 1 light?

Status
Not open for further replies.