Ballast Quality . ( Which Manufactures are the best ? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

Have quite a few 150 watt metal halide fixtures that the ballast's are bad . The one's that in in them now are ( Sola E-MZAOOW150 ) . How do you determine what manufacture type you would use to get the longest life out of them ???

JFletcher

I've had good luck with Advance products. If the lifespan of the metal halide ballast you have in there now has been low, I would definitely not replace them with an oem ballast. I dont have too much experience with metal halide though. I have seen far far more fluorescent fixtures with poor ballast life, often shorter then the time it takes for the bulbs to be halfway worn out. I almost never put OEM ballasts back in any of those fixtures.

Eta: many times, by the time ballast needs to be replaced, the fixtures themselves really aren't too far behind... May want to do a cost-benefit of replacing the entire thing

Russs57

Occupation
Maintenance Engineer
I use Advance most often as well.

You could consider going with an electronic ballast. Lamps should last longer and they are more energy efficient. I have no experience with them however and we recently went the LED path.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If you don't mind having a mix of fixtures in the space (assuming its a warehouse, or factory or something similar), I would definitely look at replacing the entire fixture with LED before replacing a ballast.

The energy savings will quickly pay for the difference in cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.