Ballroom twist locks + Ballroom temp power

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOLT

Good Evening Gents,

First time poster, long time lurker here. A lot of you guys deserve a thank you and a pat on the back for helping me out a million times before. Thank you for that. I'm happy to finally join the board.

I'm wondering how many of you guys are familiar with the power layout of a ballroom/function space. Is it typical to have a ton of 30 amp, 5 prong (3 hots, 1 neutral, 1 ground), twist lock outlets along the walls of the function space for temp break out power? I took an in house job at a facility with a ton of ballrooms, meeting rooms, and other function spaces. In all of these spaces we have a ton of these outlets. They are fed with # 10's and land on 3P, 30A outlets.

I notice that every AV company that comes in to use our ballrooms all have corresponding cables that break out of the 30A twist locks and provide 3 20amp duplex receptacles via a "dog house" which has 20 amp fuses before the outlets. The facility I work for also has its own inventory of cables that break out of these outlets with 10/5 SOOW and hit a 4 square with a duplex receptacle (with the tab broken) and a single receptacle. These are make shift "dog houses" but without the 20 amp fuse protection. So essentially we tap out of the twist lock and have 3 dedicated circuits with a shared neutral.

I thought about changing out all the 30A 3P breakers to 20A 2P breakers, the 30A twist locks to 20A twist locks, and all the 30A twist lock male plugs to 20A twist lock male plugs on our cables so our 20A receptacles have 20A protection, but that would make our ballrooms incompatible with all of the outside AV equipment.

The obvious solution to our problem is to throw out our make shift set ups and buy actual 20 amp protected dog houses. Our set up is a little crazy, but I can see why our facility has been using these (make shift) set ups since the beginning of time (I think 20 years. Not sure, I'm new).

I guess what I'm asking is, before I call out these cables of ours, what codes are they in violation of? I see in 210 it clearly says a 30A circuit should have a 30A receptacle... but that is for branch circuits.. and I find it hard to consider these cables that are laid out for temporary power as a branch circuit.

3 things worth noting is, we pop out of the 20amp receptacle with a power strip that offers 15 amp over current protection. So the 20A receptacle is protected after the outlet though.... I've opened up many of these cables and have seen no evidence of overloading or over heating. At this point, I'm not condoning the use of these cables, I'm playing devils advocate (at the end of the day, this building has bigger problems that need to be rectified, but resolving this issue is next on my docket). And finally, our cables our only used for the smaller set ups that don't require an outside AV company. Think meeting set ups where a client needs a few circuits to plug a few dozen lap tops into the power strips.

I'm just trying to figure out how wrong this is in the eyes of other electricians. Thanks in advance.

HOLT

@ Iwire, the outside vendors that use our ballrooms use the dog houses. Our own inventory isn't a dog house. Its the same idea as a dog house but with no 20 amp fuse protection. Our set ups are a 10/5 SOOW with a 4 square at the end of it with a duplex and single 20 amp receptacle.

I just don't know what NEC article governs "extension cords" for lack of a better term. Its hard to consider these cords "branch circuits". Furthermore, half the time, these things are installed by general maintenance engineers (not an electrician). I understand it would be a code violation if you had a 20 amp receptacle installed on a 30 amp circuit.. but i feel like this situation is a little different than that since its a power cord that's temporarily plugged in. I just don't know for sure that this is an "electrical installation" or if these cables should follow the NEC to the letter of the law.

The obvious solution to this situation is to dump our cords and buy dog houses.... but at this moment, thats not what we have or what we lay out when it comes to for filling a power order. I'm looking for a leg to stand on when I call out these cables.

These cords have never been a problem for these people and I'm wondering if this is an overreaction on my part.

Last edited:

HOLT

To be more clear, the outside vendors that work in our ballrooms bring in their own equipment. Which more often than not is a doghouse box that connects to our twist lock outlet and breaks out into a 3 ckt Edison.

We don't have any dog boxes on site and use the "home made" dog box which consists of 1 duplex and 1 single.. No 20 amp fuse though. The only thing not really protected are the outlets them selves, but they are usually used to small loads like phone chargers and lap top computers.

SceneryDriver

Occupation
Electrical and Automation Designer
To be more clear, the outside vendors that work in our ballrooms bring in their own equipment. Which more often than not is a doghouse box that connects to our twist lock outlet and breaks out into a 3 ckt Edison.

We don't have any dog boxes on site and use the "home made" dog box which consists of 1 duplex and 1 single.. No 20 amp fuse though. The only thing not really protected are the outlets them selves, but they are usually used to small loads like phone chargers and lap top computers.

Could your doghouses be modified/rebuilt to include a 20A fuse or breaker in each leg? Don't be too hasty to drop the protection on the circuits in the walls. Your outside vendors probably count on having that power available. I know I would if I were running chain motors and any type of lighting or large projectors.

SceneryDriver

HOLT

Could your doghouses be modified/rebuilt to include a 20A fuse or breaker in each leg? Don't be too hasty to drop the protection on the circuits in the walls. Your outside vendors probably count on having that power available. I know I would if I were running chain motors and any type of lighting or large projectors.

SceneryDriver

I agree with you. The 30A twist locks need to stay because of the vendors depending on them. We could rebuild the dog houses to have the fuse, but at that point, I think we'd be better off just buying a dog house with the fuse instead of building it. I guess my question was, are these cords an NEC code violation?

On one hand, it is pretty clearly a violation. On the other, like someone else already pointed out, the NEC isn't concerned with what we plug into our electrical system. The only thing muddying the waters for me is the following articles:

590 - Temp Installs
520 - Theaters, Audience areas of motion pictures and television studios, performance areas, and similar locations
518 - Assembly Occupancies

The above articles reference temp power. 520 goes into detail about things that sound like our cords. 518.3(B) references our exact use for these cables....

I'm just trying to figure out if this is a NEC violation or not. Its gray and muddy for me. Thanks for the help guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.