Band Saw Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippadoo

Is there any problem with running a lead with plug to power a 3 phase 220 Band Saw? The customer wants to be able to move the saw, and plug it in when needed. Does the saw have to be hard wired? Or can it be portable?

Is it in code running a lead?

Please help.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
What matters is whether the manufacturer has listed the item for a plug and cord connection.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Why would it make a difference?

It's done all the time, that's why they make plugs and caps. There are rules to be followed, i.e. depending on the rating, you may still require a disconnect switch wherever you plug it in and you have to use the proper plug configurations etc. (voltage, number of wires, grounding etc.). I personally would use pin and sleeve type connectors, it helps to prevent people from "adapting" to a handy receptacle with "gender benders" or home-made boxes that use parts they can pick up at Home Despot. But other than that, not an uncommon thing at all.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I concur with Jrafe, done all the time. Thats why the call the equipment portable.
You need to look at Art 430 and make sure the motor will have proper protection, but cord & plug connections on this type equipment is not unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.