Baptistry bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

Is a fiberglass church baptistry, 42" deep, considered a swimming pool as far as grounding and bonding are concerned?

the last one i looked at had a bonding lug on the motor and i would provide GFCI protection for the pump motor
it would get treated similar to a hydro message bath tub

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Article 680 applies. It would fall under a spa or hot tub.

Spa or Hot Tub. A hydromassage pool, or tub for recreational
or therapeutic use, not located in health care facilities,
designed for immersion of users, and usually having a
filter, heater, and motor-driven blower. It may be installed
indoors or outdoors, on the ground or supporting structure,
or in the ground or supporting structure. Generally, a spa or
hot tub is not designed or intended to have its contents
drained or discharged after each use.

Self-Contained Spa or Hot Tub. Factory-fabricated unit
consisting of a spa or hot tub vessel with all water-circulating,
heating, and control equipment integral to the unit. Equipment
can include pumps, air blowers, heaters, lights, controls,
sanitizer generators, and so forth.

-Hal

Last edited:

david

i do not have a problem with that but generally a baptistery is drained after being used and normally similar to a bath tub they do not have a filter system

either way the manufactures instructions should outline the bonding requirements

n1ist

Occupation
Principal Electrical Engineer
There was an incident where a pastor was electrocuted by a faulty heater in a baptistery when he picked up a grounded wired microphone while in it.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
i do not have a problem with that but generally a baptistery is drained after being used and normally similar to a bath tub they do not have a filter system

either way the manufactures instructions should outline the bonding requirements

If it turns out that the baptistery has no electricals and is like a bath tub then 680 wouldn't apply. However, I would think that the usual requirements for a bath would apply like distance from receptacles and switches, lighting, etc.

-Hal

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

I used to do fire protection service at a church with a baptistry and it was always left full. It was pretty large, probably every bit of 200 gallons and then some. If filled for every use, that water would be bone-chilling cold. It could take 3-5 days for the water to reach room temperature. The water bill might be a bit onerous as well.

david

I used to do fire protection service at a church with a baptistry and it was always left full. It was pretty large, probably every bit of 200 gallons and then some. If filled for every use, that water would be bone-chilling cold. It could take 3-5 days for the water to reach room temperature. The water bill might be a bit onerous as well.

the manufactures instructions will say it needs GFCI protection and bonded, the distinction as to classifying it under a hydro tub or spa will effect the type of lighting and placement of receptacles in the immediate area of the baptistery

Edit did quick search on line of manufacture instructions and it took me article 680 IV spas and hot tubs

Last edited:

Adamjamma

The two I dealt with in Georgia, Atlanta area, were dealt with as hot tubs... but don’t know code sections, just what my reverend went through with his electrician to put one in our church. Never did electrical work there, only some maintenance and painting and sound systems... ran the sound board..lol..

kwired

Electron manager
If it turns out that the baptistery has no electricals and is like a bath tub then 680 wouldn't apply. However, I would think that the usual requirements for a bath would apply like distance from receptacles and switches, lighting, etc.

-Hal
Only usual requirement for a bath is no switches or receptacles are permitted within the tub/shower space. They can be immediately adjacent to it though. GFCI is required for 15/20 amp receptacles in a bathroom regardless of vicinity to a tub/sink etc. but not for general lighting circuits so a switch could be right next to the tub space with no GFCI protection involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.