Bare Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes bare conductors are permitted depending on what they're doing. Is this a GEC?

Buck Parrish

310.3 Where installed in raceways,
conductors of size 8 AWG and larger shall be stranded.
Exception: As permitted or required elsewhere in this
Code.

kwired

Electron manager
310.3 Where installed in raceways,
conductors of size 8 AWG and larger shall be stranded.
Exception: As permitted or required elsewhere in this
Code.
I see that violated a lot, particularly with 6 AWG EGC's. Guys already have 6 AWG bare solid for use with ground rods and don't want to purchase 6 green I guess even though it is easier to pull.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see that violated a lot, particularly with 6 AWG EGC's. Guys already have 6 AWG bare solid for use with ground rods and don't want to purchase 6 green I guess even though it is easier to pull.
Another reason to just use stranded #6 for everything. ;)

Buck Parrish

And solid can not be spliced with a compression splice. Or at least I have not seen a splice listed for that use
I tried to tell our local guys wiring pools that they could not use a split bolt. But they do any way. I had to either join them or get left behind. The inspectors either don't know or don't care. I use the concrete rated ones.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
A YC4C6 is not legal?
Pretty sure many the parallel groove (H taps) as well as "insulinks" have solid wire combinations marked either on them or on the packaging.

Here is Burndy YHO-1 spec file. Says it accepts down to 6 AWG solid, and the "C grooves" actually are rated for solid only, 14-10 AWG.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Bare Copper Yes,
Bare Aluminum No
I once pulled out overhead triplex someone pulled in underground (the type with steel reinforcement in the bare aluminum grounded conductor) to a detached garage. Bare aluminum was pretty much gone, the steel strand was mostly still there, though I think it did have some open portions in it.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I once pulled out overhead triplex someone pulled in underground (the type with steel reinforcement in the bare aluminum grounded conductor) to a detached garage. Bare aluminum was pretty much gone, the steel strand was mostly still there, though I think it did have some open portions in it.

That messenger is hell on a lineman pliers too for those that don't know any better not to cut it with that,,,,. :)

JAP>

kwired

Electron manager
That messenger is hell on a lineman pliers too for those that don't know any better not to cut it with that,,,,. :)

JAP>
Maybe you have something different than others that you call lineman pliers? They can cut about anything if you can squeeze hard enough to cut it. Cable cutters intended to cut only copper/aluminum or other soft metals is what that steel strand raises hell with.

1652227047167.png

Status
Not open for further replies.